Whisker pole, assymetrical spinnaker

Francisco Garuti

Apr 20, 2017, 4:18:55 PM4/20/17
to Passport Owners

I guess different boats came with different setups. I know originally my mast was Kenyon (the boom is, the mast was replaced). Im guessing maybe the whisker pole setup is too. I was wondering if you guys have something to hold the car in place. I believe Im missing some sort of cam-cleats of something (I just have line that goes to both end of the track on the pole holder and re-feeds onto itself, but there is no place to Jam or cleat it).

Would anyone care to share some photos of their whisker pole setup? It would be helpful.

Has anyone added a topping lift/foreguy attachment to this kind of pole as to extend an assymetrical  for bettter downwind performance with an AP Asym?

Im trying to figure out what setup to go with, so any information on downwind sail setup is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

CAZ

Apr 20, 2017, 4:47:59 PM4/20/17
to Passport Owners
Francisco,
I recently added a whisker pole. It stores snapped vertically to the mast. I can take some pics and send.
Captain Bill Caz.
P40, Beau Navire

John Baudendistel

Apr 20, 2017, 5:19:09 PM4/20/17
to CAZ, Passport Owners
Hi.  I use a full size spinnaker pole, mounted on the mast on a track.  Has a 6:1 car to keep it in control.  I can set by myself.  Has released on both ends.

Thanks
John Baudendistel

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Bill Schmidt

Apr 20, 2017, 7:00:45 PM4/20/17
to Francisco Garuti, passpor...@googlegroups.com

Wind Witch has the original mast setup from Kenyon. The sliding car base for the pole moves vertically on a track at the forward edge of the mast It rises from the mast base upwards to the level of the first spreader. There are turning (cheek) blocks at the mast base and at the top of the track. A control line attaches to the top of the sliding car and to the base of the car, having passed around both cheek blocks. Cam cleats, mounted vertically in opposite directions, are on the mast to cleat the line so it  (the sliding car)remains at whatever height you want it to be set. These cam cleats suck and should not be used. Use cam cleats instead. We use an internal halyard intended for an inner forestay sail (which we don't have) as a topping lift for a full sized spinnaker pole. A spinnaker downhaul line runs from the forestay base. We find that this setup, attaching the cruising "spinnaker" tack to the outer end of the pole places the sail in an ideal spot. It sets well and doesn't end up wrapping around the forestay/furled genoa when we are cruising down wind and failing to pay attention to wind shifts (OK, this is a true confession).

Hope this helps.

Billy Manana

bill.vcf

Rick Hurt

Apr 20, 2017, 7:33:18 PM4/20/17
to CAZ, Passport Owners

This is a pretty good link to the setting up and use of a downwind pole.

http://www.forespar.com/media/images/whiskerPoleBrochure_2_2007.pdf

Rick Hurt

SV Perla, P-40

Rob Raymond

Apr 20, 2017, 8:38:18 PM4/20/17
to Bill Schmidt, Francisco Garuti, passpor...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like we have the same stock whisker setup on Azura Kai as you do Billy. Did you meant to say the clam cleats suck? That's what we have, and I've been thinking about changing them... 'cause they suck.

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Donald Fife

Apr 20, 2017, 8:43:38 PM4/20/17
to Rob Raymond, Bill Schmidt, Francisco Garuti, passpor...@googlegroups.com
I have an Isomat mast set up like Wind Witch. Clam cleats triple suck!!!

Sent from my iPhone
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
For more options, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

Matthew Davidson

Apr 21, 2017, 12:51:10 PM4/21/17
to Passport Owners
Could someone tell me the J dimension or provide your whisker pole length. I need to get one on order as ours was lost...
Matthew

Bill Schmidt

Apr 21, 2017, 1:47:10 PM4/21/17
to Rob Raymond, Francisco Garuti, passpor...@googlegroups.com