Propeller Change?

paw...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2021, 9:16:36 PM3/26/21
to Passport Owners
Am looking at improving performance of my P40/41. Any one here ever tried Autoprop or any other recommendations I can investigate. I do not want to be pulling each year to lubricate. Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance

Marty McOmber

Mar 26, 2021, 11:47:15 PM3/26/21
to paw...@gmail.com, Passport Owners
I think many if not most of us have folding props now. Mine is the three bald  max prop classic. It performs great and has not required more than routine service at haul out every two years.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2021, at 6:16 PM, paw...@gmail.com <paw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Am looking at improving performance of my P40/41. Any one here ever tried Autoprop or any other recommendations I can investigate. I do not want to be pulling each year to lubricate. Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jeff Beller

Mar 27, 2021, 9:50:31 AM3/27/21
to Passport Owners
Same here.  I have had a Max prop for 25+ years and still going strong.  It is possible to grease them in the water.  I do mine about once  a year, but often it's longer and it doesn't seem to have suffered for it.

Jeff

Alcoop

Mar 27, 2021, 3:03:32 PM3/27/21
to Passport Owners
There was an autoprop on P40 Hull 124 when I got it in 2010. From the correspondence on the boat it had been a problem and had to be replaced initially. I had it rebuilt in 201 before a cruise and the experienced propshop in the Bay area had no experience with one but got the parts and it worked OK until 2028 when it was falling aprt. Replaced it with Maxiprop. The autoprop was better at motoring but I gained 1/2 knot with sailing with the Maxi.
All in all would not recommend

Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent

Mar 27, 2021, 4:17:36 PM3/27/21
to Passport Owners
I've had an Autoprop for 25 years. Fantastic.  No problems.  In light winds + 1 knot over fixed propellor.  Motoring in light seas on my old prop to hit 4 knots engine was running 1500 rpm.  With Autoprop, my motor runs about 1200 rpm to go 4kts.  Motor sailing offer same improvements of reduced motor wear.  I replaced the prop bearings in it once at 15 years.  Simple to do.  Excellent!

paw...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2021, 5:27:39 PM3/27/21
to Passport Owners
OK, what size max prop, I suppose gear box ratio may be different, is it enough to specify my props Diameter and pitch.
Thanks.

rcy...@optonline.net

Mar 27, 2021, 6:19:37 PM3/27/21
to paw...@gmail.com, Passport Owners

I spent a lot of time on this topic a few months ago.

Many P40s have 17.5” or 18” props with 2:1 a transmission gear ratio. I was encouraged, by some, to go with a 20” prop and a 3:1 transmission ratio,  but I elected to stay with the tried and true.

Regards,

Bob

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:17:36 AM UTC+10 Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent wrote:

I've had an Autoprop for 25 years. Fantastic.  No problems.  In light winds + 1 knot over fixed propellor.  Motoring in light seas on my old prop to hit 4 knots engine was running 1500 rpm.  With Autoprop, my motor runs about 1200 rpm to go 4kts.  Motor sailing offer same improvements of reduced motor wear.  I replaced the prop bearings in it once at 15 years.  Simple to do.  Excellent!

There was an autoprop on P40 Hull 124 when I got it in 2010. From the correspondence on the boat it had been a problem and had to be replaced initially. I had it rebuilt in 201 before a cruise and the experienced propshop in the Bay area had no experience with one but got the parts and it worked OK until 2028 when it was falling apart. Replaced it with MaxProp. The auto prop was better at motoring but I gained 1/2 knot with sailing with the Maxi.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Marty McOmber <mmco...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think many if not most of us have folding props now. Mine is the three bald  max prop classic. It performs great and has not required more than routine service at haul out every two years.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2021, at 6:16 PM, paw...@gmail.com <paw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Am looking at improving performance of my P40/41. Anyone here ever tried Autoprop or any other recommendations I can investigate. I do not want to be pulling each year to lubricate. Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance

Bill Schmidt

Mar 27, 2021, 7:24:00 PM3/27/21
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

The size of the prop and the pitch of the prop surely depends on the HP of the engine and the transmission gear ratio. FYI, the original P40 prop was a fixed prop, 16" diameter and 11" "pitch". The engine was a Nanni, 42hp. Pitch unknown.

For a MaxProp you best contact PYI in Seattle. Superb

Billy Manana.

Kevin

Mar 29, 2021, 6:32:57 AM3/29/21
to Passport Owners
If interested I still have a 16” 3-blade Max Prop classic, RH turn for a 1.25” shaft that was on my P40 before I repowered.  It performed very well and I kinda miss the prop walk when maneuvering in tight spaces (now have a Flexofold and almost zero prop walk).

Kevin Muilman

Donal Botkin

Mar 29, 2021, 2:40:15 PM3/29/21
to Jeff Beller, Passport Owners
Yes, it is possible to grease the MaxProp ‘classic’ in the water. Here’s how: at your next haul-out, have a grease-gun fitting installed at the aft end of the prop hub (under the triangular zinc). This should be a simple “drill and tap” operation. Make sure you have a small grease gun that fits it. Then you can have your diver or DYI grease the prop when the zinc is replaced.

View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
556 Shagbark St
Windsor, CA  95492

paw...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2021, 2:31:03 AM4/30/21
to Passport Owners
Just in past one week, I took the Passport 41 out on two outings and collected lots of data, via NavmonPC as in a manner to collect data suitable for deriving Polar diagram, so many variations of TWA, TWS, STW and SOG, but I compared my boat speed 10 minutes with Fixed blade prop free wheeling and then 10 minutes Locked, this data collected every 10 seconds for 2 days with 6hrs each. Reason to determine if there was any gain in speed by Free wheeling the prop. Somebody else said, maybe here, that trailing a free spinning propellor is equal to dragging one bucket, locked shaft is equal to 2 buckets. I agree with this simplistic comparison, but maybe small buckets. Anyhow result:
an average speed gain of .2 knot with propeller allowed to spin. Estimate Gain by getting feathering prop 0.4 knot. I expect that a faster yacht would gain more. Borderline in the negative to proceed I reckon.

Ross Hoag

May 1, 2021, 10:11:23 AM5/1/21
to Passport Owners
I am interested in your polar data, will you post or share at some point? I was planning on doing the same thing later this season when I get back in the water. I have the tall masted rig on our 41 and would like to compare my results with the standard rig.

Ross

paw...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 3:41:46 AM7/8/21
to Passport Owners
My Passport is not a normal, ie its custom built in Australia, it has a 31 year old main and a #2 Jib. I 'm definitely towards the back of the pack at cruising speed.

Matthew Davidson

Sep 13, 2021, 12:43:33 PM9/13/21
to Passport Owners
We have a Seahawk AutoStream made in Australia. Sales and Serviced through Martec Propeller Service LLC in Arizona. At last haul out I contacted Martec and sent them our Engine, Gear Reduction and Boat data along with Measurement of our Prop. that had 17" size blades.  They serviced our prop and put 20" blades on (which is what was sized to our data). Seems the previous owner repowered and never up-sized the prop. blades to match... wow, what a difference 20" blades made! Hitting 6.2 knots at 2150 RPM which is our sweet spot.
Matthew Davidson - SV Wildflower P40 1983