P40 Possible Hull Leak

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 9, 2021, 3:00:20 PM11/9/21
to Passport Owners
Hello Passport Briantrust,
I was installing a cleat for a platform to support some increased battery bank under the quarterberth and some of the tabbing for the bulkhead appears to have been pushed back a smidge from the screws not tapping themselves into the fiberglass, but instead pushing it away from the plywood.  The boat is in the water.

Then a trickle of water began to dribble from the forward bottom edge of the plywood where it meets the hull.  Hopefully the pictures will help.

The hull did have 250 blisters that I repaired in 2013 and there are 2 coats of epoxy barrier coat and 4 coats of Coppercoat, so it's hard to fathom that seawater is getting through all that.

The water does not have a salt taste, but I cannot imagine how else a constant dribble of water is appearing there.

There are no water lines anywhere close.

I may be able to get hauled tomorrow if the dribble does not subside.

Has anyone delay with anything like this before?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim Henerberry
1987 P40, #123, Lottie B PB090043.JPG

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 9, 2021, 3:01:41 PM11/9/21
to Passport Owners
Additional PhotosPB090045.JPG

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 9, 2021, 3:02:42 PM11/9/21
to Passport Owners
One more photo
PB090046.JPG

paw...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2021, 2:36:39 AM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
I suggest you clean &dry the area use chalk to identify any water coming down use a sprinkler set up on the deck, increase pressure in a area if you can narrow it down. Good Luck.

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2021, 8:14:10 AM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
Hello Again,
I just had a breakthrough thought:  There is a sealed "box" at the foot of the quarter berth and it occurs to me that in the last 30 plus years water may have accumulated inside that box and when I disturbed the tabbing downhill from there, that accumulated water now has a path to get out.

I'll be back at the boat within a couple of hours and will cut a hole in the "box" and, fingers crossed, find a little pool of water.

I just can't fathom that seawater would be getting through the 3/4" think hull.

I'll let you know.

Jim

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2021, 11:34:16 AM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
Back at the boat and cut a 4" diameter hole in the top of the quarter berth "box" and . . . there is moisture in there, not the puddle or pool I had expected, nothing standing.

Also, overnight I left a towel to absorb any fluid that continued to drain, and it was moist, but not sopping wet, as it must have been if there were water coming in through the bottom from the ocean.  So, I'm attributing it to collected water that I released by disturbing the bulkhead tabbing.

Interesting side point on the "box."  It is not fully hollow down to the hull.  Rather, there is a solid fill up to about half way vertically.  The picture shows a view of the interior of the box facing the forward inboard corner where the water is most likely to collect and then migrate to where I found it.  You can see the sheen of moisture and this is after I did some wiping out of the area.  I will let the compartment dry out and may just leave the hole open to allow some air flow, as much as can get in there with the cushion back in place.PB100007.JPG

Thank you to those who offered advice and I hope this may be of help for anyone who might face a similar situation in the future.

Jim

John Baudendistel

Nov 10, 2021, 3:17:26 PM11/10/21
to jhene...@yahoo.com, Passport Owners
Is there water coming down through the deck chainplates or stanchions, deck fittings, etc.  More likely than the hull.   Or a water tank leak.  Look at the rust in the upper corner.  Golden steel punching for ballast.

Thanks

John

On Nov 10, 2021, at 7:14 AM, 'jhene...@yahoo.com' via Passport Owners <Passpor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello Again,
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply: