Passport 40 Companion way hatch

Jeremy Dinsel

Sep 19, 2022, 6:28:20 PM9/19/22
to Passport Owners
Our companion way hatch has some damage and what seems like a temporary fix to the inside of it using some thin plywood that isn't well secured to the top. I am wondering what the original was meant to look like. If anyone happens to be on their vessel and would not mind taking a picture of it while closed from the inside, I would appreciate seeing what I should strive to recreate.

Best regards,
Jeremy Dinsel
S/V Whale Shadow, Passport 40 1984

Marty McOmber

Sep 19, 2022, 7:49:21 PM9/19/22
to Jeremy Dinsel, Passport Owners
We noticed a crack along the port side of the companionway hatch -- at its weakest point along the groove cut for the tracks. I repaired it by carefully drilling holes vertically through the broken area and then epoxying in a series of aluminium pegs to reinforce the side and especially the area around the groove. You need to be very precise because there isn't a lot of meat to work with.  But it has held up very well. We also consider added reinforcing straps along each side, made from stainless and screwed in place. So far, that hasn't been necessary.

Here's a few pics.

Hope that is helpful!

Cheers,

Marty McOmber

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jeremy Dinsel

Sep 19, 2022, 7:57:13 PM9/19/22
to Marty McOmber, Passport Owners
We had the same crack on the side as you describe. A guest thought the hatch opened like a pez dispenser and tore the only remaining side off in the process.

Thanks for the photos.

-jeremy

Kenyon Stewart

Sep 19, 2022, 8:51:08 PM9/19/22
to Jeremy Dinsel, Marty McOmber, Passport Owners
Yep, ours cracked in the same place.  I just used epoxy and it has held so far.  Some further reinforcement may be needed at some point.

Kenyon

William Foster

Sep 19, 2022, 9:56:23 PM9/19/22
to jeremy...@gmail.com, mmco...@gmail.com, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
  Am original owner of 1986 hull 11 Passport 37 S/V Magico.
Presently dealing with problem after lightning strike three years ago which, inter. alia., my original Stowe instruments (fried) were in cantered pod on upright Merriman pedestal. Replaced with Garmin instruments in Scanstrut pod that is not cantered. Now unable to view instruments easily  without ducking since not tilted up. Understand Merriman guard is 1/2 " wider than current standard 12" and there is complete conversion stuff available from Navpod and Edson to redo binnacle guard at 12" center to center with dm increased.
Does not appear anyway to tilt pod up and Scanstrut (UK) doesn't have answer. With current setup there is also less grab rail room on top of rail which has been really critical when moving around in cockpit.    Anyone had this issue before?
Best,
Bill Foster