P40 AC Wiring Color Code

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 24, 2021, 11:20:36 AM11/24/21
to Passport Owners
Hello Passporters,
I am deep into my conversion to electric heat.  One 48v heater box is installed and 2 and 3 are close.

As part of this conversion I have installed two new Smartplug inlets and two Victron Quattro 48v battery charges/inverters.  All AC now runs through one of the QUattros whether I am plugged into shore power or running on batteries.  The Quattro has 4000 watt AC potential.

So, all my wiring up to the AC panel (still the original from 1987) is new with the correct Hot/Line (black) and Neutral (white) polarity.  Up until this point, I had naively believed that the two AC wires were essentially interchangeable.  I made my best guess on the original install and got the reversed polarity warning light and switched the incoming leads correcting that problem.

The AC wiring throughout the boat, though, is Red and white with traditional Gree for ground.  From what I can tell from the panel wiring, the Red is the Hot/Line side and White is neutral.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any feedback!!!
Jim Henerberry
1987 P40 #123, Lottie B