1964 Matthew Eugene Evans (71)

Mary Susan Taylor

Jul 26, 2018, 4:15:26 PM7/26/18
to Pacific Grove Obituaries

1964 Matthew Eugene Evans (71)

Monterey Herald, CA April 23, 2018 (scanned)

Matthew E. Evans July 4, 1946 - April 9, 2018 Resident of Salinas I'M FREE Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free; I took His hand when I heard him call; I turned my back and left it all. If my parting has left a void; then fill it with remembered joy. My life's been full, I savored much; good friends, good times, a loved one's touch. A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss; ah yes, these things, I too, will miss. Perhaps my time seemed all too brief; don't lengthen it now with undue grief. Lift up your hearts and share with me; God wanted me now, He set me free. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date. To share a memory or condolence with Matthew's family please visit www.missionmortuary.com.

Contributed by family, April 30 ,2018

 July 4, 1946 - April 9, 2018.  Matt crossed over to his new life at age 71 years of age. He was a resident Of Corral de Tierra in Salinas. He was born in Modesto, California and moved to Pacific Grove in 1955 with his Family when his Dad, Bill, became Manager of Collins Electric. He graduated in 1964 from Pacific Grove High. He then went on to receive a Business Degree in 1968 from San Jose State. He played football in high school and college. It was a heart break his senior year when they lost the shoe. Sports were always a love of his. You couldn’t go and see him that sports were not the focus on the TV and conversation. He was an electrician most of his working life. He worked at Collins Electric and then he and his brother Dave had their own company, Cherokee Electric. When his Dad retired from Collins Electric, he took over as Manager until his retirement. He was a member of the IBEW, local 234. He made many friends over the years, along with those of Bill W, but he always held his longtime friends and his family very close to his heart. You might have seen him most recently at a little league field watching his nephews. He was always there routing them on. He loved to go to auctions and thrift stores to find something to add to his collections. He had a Barn full. He never forgot a birthday or holiday. The family knew he would be going out to his barn and find them something special. He loved his family. His grandchildren were very precious to him. Frankie said he was like his 2nd dad, Dominique gave him his first Great grandson, Gavin and Candie he called “the baby” she brought such joy in his later years. She liked to just hang out with papa in the barn. Matt was an avid Harley rider. He said he could get on and just ride. He loved it. He also loved to study his bible in later days and that gave him great comfort. He is survived by his wife Caroline, his children Candace and Tyler, his brother, Billy, sisters Beth ‘69, Sarah and Monica. His sister in law, Marie and many nieces and nephews, who loved their “Uncle Matt” He was proceeded in death by his Parents Bill and Mary, his brother David ‘67, his daughter Stacey. God wanted him now and set him free, Ride on Brother A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date.