Information on backups - please

1 view

Gary M. Tamblyn

Jan 3, 2012, 3:31:46 PM1/3/12
to pt...@ptug.org, Matt Hess

All,

We have a client with IT personnel who have been given a high priority task of gathering a linformation about how other Profitool clients accomplish their backups.  I have suggested that a query be sent out to the PTUG membership soliciting information, but the sense is that information won't come back quickly enough to be helpful.

All of the details of how your organization backs up your Profitool database(s) are not required.  I believe what is needed is a very high level recap of your procedure.  Primarily, I believe the tool(s) being used are of the most interest.  Are you using tar, rsynch, ..., amanda, bacula, ... or perhaps EMC's "On Course", or Arc-Serve?

If you can help me help get info to this client, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, perhaps this will cultivate a new participant/contributor to the PTUG forums.  It is not a small company that is asking this question.

Thanks in advance for your speedy suggestions.

Gary Tamblyn

Mitchell, Tom

Jan 3, 2012, 3:45:26 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com, pt...@ptug.org, Matt Hess

Gary,

We are using CommVault to backup all the servers on our network including the Profitool server. All data is first copied to the disk array and then off to tape. We have been running this for over five years with no major problems. If you need more details please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Groups "Profitool User Group" group.
PT_Users+u...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://www.ptug.org

John Bolland

Jan 3, 2012, 3:52:53 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com
Gary

Mainzeal uses rsync as its back up tool.

Essentially our backups work like this.

We have a remotely attached drive (part of our visualized environment,
but on a separate piece of hardware) that is simply seen as an
additional directory [/backup1] by the Linux OS.

Each night the following processes are run.

1.
An rsync process, via the network and secured SSH connections, copies
all the contents of the WebInterface server into /backup1/webint (with
the exception of a number of OS files/directories - mainly device
drivers etc.

2.
An rsync process all the contents of the Profitool Server into
/backup1/profitool - again with the exception of some OS device drives
etc. This is of course an internal copy as far as Linux is concerned.

3.
Subsequently, later in the day, a copy of the /backup1 path is made by
the virtual environment to a separate piece of hardware, and then a tape
copy is made of this.

Regards

John Bolland | Programmer | Mainzeal Property and Construction Ltd |
Mobile 021 283 1011 | Phone 09 375 5386 | www.mainzeal.com

> Groups "Profitool User Group" group.
> PT_Users+u...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://www.ptug.org

The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) indicated above. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please let us know immediately. - Richina Inc. and Subsidiaries - Mail Gateway

Hook, Brooks

Jan 3, 2012, 4:29:27 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com, pt...@ptug.org, Matt Hess

Ditto from ZCC on CommVault.

We are in the process of switching to NetBackup .

Bauman, Dan

Jan 3, 2012, 4:43:44 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com, pt...@ptug.org, Matt Hess

All –

We have a pretty simple (but effective) process…
The Profitool data is backed up nightly by using tar scripts, creating the backup files on an NFS directory.  The zipped files are then backed up by Symantec and written to tape.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dan Bauman

BIS Frucon Industrial Services Inc.

Information Technology Manager

Phone: (636) 391-4590

Jan 3, 2012, 4:46:08 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com, pt...@ptug.org, Matt Hess

This is exactly what I’m doing, except that we use BackupExec to backup the zipped files to tape.  (I modified the ptbackup script to backup to an NFS filesystem instead of to tape.)

Thanks,

Eve

The Kirlin Group
Celebrating 50 years
1960-2010

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Kirlin Group. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Kirlin Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Frank....@pjdick.com

Jan 3, 2012, 9:00:16 PM1/3/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com
We use emc avamar to backup several times per day.  We used the tar to windows share then backup exec prior to emc.  Both work.

Sent from my iPad