Comdata - any comments from users of this service?

Steve Hunt

Aug 12, 2016, 2:26:45 PM8/12/16
to (ptug@ptug.org)
Profitool users -

I am considering entering into a contract with Comdata today for AP payments for certain vendors. Any quick comments from anyone - pro or con?

Thanks,

Steve Hunt
CFO, Secretary & Treasurer
[cid:image0...@01D170B4.BAFE0990]<http://www.weddlebros.com/>

Office: 812-339-9500 | Direct: 812-323-2214 | www.weddlebros.com

[BPTWIN Logo 2016 Email -Small] [Celebrating Logo - Small] <http://www.weddlebros.com/> [Facebook - Small] <https://www.facebook.com/weddlebros/> [LinkedIN - Small] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/weddle-bros--construction-companies> [Twitter - Small] <https://twitter.com/WeddleBros>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please contact the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the original message including all attachments. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Weddle Bros. Construction Companies, P.O. Box 1330 Bloomington, IN 47402.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg

Lucy Danielian

Aug 12, 2016, 2:29:01 PM8/12/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com, (ptug@ptug.org)
Comdata is awesome!  Acco has been paying vendors with comdata since 2012 and we have had the best experience.  If you have any issues or questions - do not hesitate to contact me.

Good luck!

[cid:image001.jpg@01D170B4.BAFE0990]<http://www.weddlebros.com/>

--
You have received this message, because you are a subscriber of "Profitool User Group" forum.  For more information please visit this group at http://www.ptug.org

Lucy Danielian

Accounts Payable Manager -Construction

6265 San Fernando Rd

Glendale, CA 91201

Tel: 818-244-6571 ext 2102

Fax: 818-545-9033

Varoujan Adamian

Aug 12, 2016, 2:34:21 PM8/12/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com, (ptug@ptug.org)
Hi Steve,

Its great to hear from you.  Just make sure you have a good Rep.  If Matt Butler is somehow involved with your account, then you are golden.

Cheers,
Varouj

---
Varoujan Adamian | Principal Consultant | Noravand
115 S Lamer Street, Ste D | Burbank, California | 91506
818-201-5111 mobile | 747-333-8301 work | 818-845-2338 fax

-----Confidentiality Notice--------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail (the electronic message and any attachments that it may contain), may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or work product for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance or distribution by others, or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and immediately delete all copies of the e-mail without reading or saving in any manner.
                                                                                Noravand

[...]

Steve Hunt

Aug 12, 2016, 2:35:14 PM8/12/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com

Lucy,

Thank you very much for that comment!

Steve

812-323-2214

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Lucy Danielian

Accounts Payable Manager -Construction

6265 San Fernando Rd

Glendale, CA 91201

Tel: 818-244-6571 ext 2102

Fax: 818-545-9033

--

You have received this message, because you are a subscriber of "Profitool User Group" forum. For more information please visit this group at http://www.ptug.org

David Cox

Aug 17, 2016, 11:30:01 AM8/17/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com, (ptug@ptug.org)
Steve,

ACCO enjoys a sizable rebate amount each month, but there are some hidden costs for the program. We had a person designated as the Comdata payment question person, as many vendors sign up for Comdata payment, but don't understand how it works. Takes a couple of payments for a vendor to catch on. It is dependent on a good email address for the vendor to be in Profitool.
But overall it is a net win.

[...]

Dave Cox | IT Manager of Enterprise Applications | ACCO Engineered Systems
6265 San Fernando Rd | Glendale, California | 91201-2214

Steve Hunt

Aug 17, 2016, 11:42:56 AM8/17/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com

Thanks David.

Your comment touches on my biggest fear about using Comdata.  We don’t want any of our vendors to feel taken advantage of.  We also don’t want using Comdata to affect future pricing received from a vendor.  That would defeat the purpose.

We have decided to table this decision until October-ish.  It’s going to be a topic at a peer group meeting Weddle is in.  We want to see if any of our peer group members use Comdata or something similar.

Steve

812-323-2214

[...]

cell 818-445-4487 | 818-244-6571 main

--

You have received this message, because you are a subscriber of "Profitool User Group" forum. For more information please visit this group at http://www.ptug.org

David Cox

Aug 17, 2016, 11:51:34 AM8/17/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

We too had internal debates raising the same topics related to the initial roll out. Some counter points:
  • If vendor takes a credit card for payment, and we don't pay by credit card, we are missing out.
  • When paying by credit card, we don't/shouldn't send the vendor a 1099 at year end. Comdata sends form 1099K (if I remember the form name correctly). We don't know exactly what the vendor was paid.
  • We had a concern that vendors offering prompt payment discount would not do so when we pay by credit card. But this was found not to be the case universally.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Steve Hunt <sh...@weddlebros.com> wrote:

Thanks David.

Your comment touches on my biggest fear about using Comdata.  We don’t want any of our vendors to feel taken advantage of.  We also don’t want using Comdata to affect future pricing received from a vendor.  That would defeat the purpose.

We have decided to table this decision until October-ish.  It’s going to be a topic at a peer group meeting Weddle is in.  We want to see if any of our peer group members use Comdata or something similar.

Steve

812-323-2214

Lucy Danielian

Aug 17, 2016, 12:03:37 PM8/17/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

We have been using Comdata for 4 years and I can tell you that most vendors love it.  It is a much faster and more hassle free way to get paid.  Not all vendors will sign up for it but we made this option voluntary and did not approach our discount vendors at all.  We have had some vendors sign up in the beginning and then go back to checks due to the high credit card merchant fees but I can assure you we have not experienced any price increases or damaged vendor relationships.  We even have subcontractors take credits cards for hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time.

Hope this helps!

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Steve Hunt <sh...@weddlebros.com> wrote:

Thanks David.

Your comment touches on my biggest fear about using Comdata.  We don’t want any of our vendors to feel taken advantage of.  We also don’t want using Comdata to affect future pricing received from a vendor.  That would defeat the purpose.

We have decided to table this decision until October-ish.  It’s going to be a topic at a peer group meeting Weddle is in.  We want to see if any of our peer group members use Comdata or something similar.

Steve

812-323-2214

Steve Hunt

Sep 22, 2016, 3:00:23 PM9/22/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com

David, Lucy -

Your comments about Comdata were very much appreciated.  We are starting to set things up, but I am still unsure how Comdata payments will post to Profitool.  We are going to send them a test file for vendor payment uploads, but that is info OUT of Profitool.  Not sure how these payments will then post TO Profitool.

What Profitool file(s) do you send to Comdata for vendor payments?  The TR PROOF, TR CHECK, a customized file, or something else?

Thanks,

Steve

812-323-2214

David Cox

Sep 22, 2016, 3:24:17 PM9/22/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve,

The process is that we do a regular TR PROOF, CHECK, POST cycle. THEN a Comdata file is created using TR DP TRANSMIT and TR DP POST. A file is created by the last step, a cron job is scheduled on your server to run a script. The script logs into Comdata's secure FTP web site,and loads the "request" file. The script also looks for a "response" file and uploads it to a directory usually located in the DFD. An email is sent notifying you that a Response has been received, and you run TR DP RESPONSE to record the fact that Comdata processed this. If there are items not processed (bad vendor email address is most common reason), you will see it on the TR DP RESPONSE report.

ACCO has the cron job scheduled to run every 15 minutes between 7 AM to 6 PM Monday to Friday. A unique GL Bank Account code is used for this which is different than the one you use for printing checks.

Hope this answers your questions. I'd be happy to schedule a call with you if you have questions better answered over the phone than in email. One very important key to this is getting a report monthly from Comdata showing each vendor processed Master Card "disbursement". Otherwise you can't do a bank reconciliation on these disbursements.

[...]

Stelzer, David

Sep 22, 2016, 4:16:31 PM9/22/16
to PT_U...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

Dave has summarized this process very well.   We have little if any issues with the process.   We have been very happy with the service, but have started to see some vendors that have been using the service opt out because of the % hit.

Dave

David C Stelzer

 MCSE:Security, MCSA:Security, MCP, A+

  I.T. Manager