SharePoint

Mitchell, Tom

Mar 12, 2012, 12:01:31 PM3/12/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com

All,

We are considering SharePoint 2010. Has anyone considered this product or implemented it?

Thanks,

Tom

 Thomas Mitchell

 Information Systems Manager

 MGROUP

 122 South Wilson Avenue, Drawer D

 Fremont, Ohio 43420

 Phone:  419-334-3801, Ext. 3271

 Direct Dial:  419-355-3271

 Fax:  419-334-2011

 e-mail:  tmit...@mossergrp.com

sh...@weddlebros.com

Mar 12, 2012, 12:18:57 PM3/12/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com, pt_u...@googlegroups.com

Tom,

We have used Sharepoint for a few years.  It has had very limited success.  We use it for shared calendars that we can't do via Outlook because we don't use Exchange.

We meant to use Sharepoint for document sharing, but no one in our company is currently doing that.

For us, it has been slow and clumsy.

We're looking for an affordable, better alternative.

But that's just us...

Steve Hunt

Weddle

Groups "Profitool User Group" group.
PT_Users+u...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://www.ptug.org

image001.jpg

Varoujan Adamian

Mar 12, 2012, 12:57:57 PM3/12/12
to pt_u...@googlegroups.com
We have considered Sharepoint, however we have not come-up with a solid reason to implement it.  Like most Microsoft products, I assume it to be chatty (Network traffic) and problematic.

We use MindTouch TCS for document sharing and Knowledge base.  The free version lacks search capability, but can be installed and evaluated.  Some of the users that installed the system post ACCO's adoption include AutoDesk, CISCO, NASA & UCLA, so I assume the prices for the paid version have gone up.

We have also replaced our GroupWise environment with Google's Apps.  $50 / user / year will get you all the collaboration tool you need, including e-mail, document sharing, Calendar, Contact Management, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation, PICASA WEB Photo/Video album, personal WEB sites (Dashboard) & more, plus at least 25GB of space per user.

With Google Apps, you can share documents with users internally or externally, and they can be updated
simultaneous by multiple users.   Individuals who do not have a Google e-mail account, would need to create a Google Profile (i.e. create an account using your existing e-mail address (e.g. Powe...@Profitool.com) and a unique password).

On a semi-related note, I highly recommend reading Harvard Business Reviews "Aligning Technology With Strategy" before making any technology decision.

Regards,

--
Varoujan Adamian | Chief Information Officer | ACCO Engineered Systems
6265 San Fernando Rd | Glendale, California | 91201-2214