Periodic law intervals: variations

Rene

Apr 15, 2024, 10:19:15 PMApr 15
to Periodic table mailing list
Some of the recent discussion prompted me to look closer at the regularity or irregularity of periodic intervals between elements.

The first attachment has two periodic table extracts. I have focussed on the middle three columns, in all cases.

Option A shows complete regularity. So, the interval between H and F is 8, as is the interval between He and Ne, and between Li and Na.

Option B is the conventional layout, with H over Li. It has one irregularity in that the interval between H and Li is 3 whereas between He and Ne it is 8, as is the case for Li and Na.

The second attachment is for the left step table, and for a table with H over C. The left step table has two irregularities whereas the H over C table has one.

It is odd that the left step table, while having regularity in its period lengths, introduces two irregularities in periodic law intervals. That said, I’ve written previously about other irregularities in the left step table.

René