What is a nonmetal (in physics)?

Rene

Jun 24, 2024, 8:02:11 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to Periodic table mailing list
I’d've thought that in physics a nonmetal would be a semiconductor or an insulator.

However use of the term "nonmetal" in physics does not appear to be well established.

Here's an extract from Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday, Resnick & Walker 2005, 7th ed., p. 563):

We can classify materials generally according to the ability of charge to move through them. Conductors are materials through which charge can move rather freely; examples include metals (such as copper in common lamp wire), the human body, and tap water. Nonconductors—also called insulators—are materials through which charge cannot move freely; examples include rubber (such as the insulation on common lamp wire), plastic, glass, and chemically pure water. Semiconductors are materials that are intermediate between conductors and insulators.

Nowhere in this 1,248-page source are any of the terms nonmetal/s; non-metal/s; nonmetallic; or non-metallic used.

To my surprise, the Oxford Dictionary of Physics, 8th ed. (2019) defines "nonmetal" in the same way as set out in the Oxford Dictionary of Chemistry, 8th ed. (2020):

An element that is not a metal. Nonmetals can either be insulators or semiconductors. At low temperatures nonmetals are poor conductors of both electricity and heat as few free electrons move through the material. If the conduction band is near to the valence band (see energy bands) it is possible for nonmetals to conduct electricity at high temperatures but, in contrast to metals, the conductivity increases with increasing temperature. Nonmetals are electronegative elements, such as carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, sulphur, and the halogens. They form compounds that contain negative ions or covalent bonds. Their oxides are either neutral or acidic.

Do physicists seemingly have no independent conception of what a nonmetal is?

René