Re: AUDIO TRANSCRIPT OF MY ATTACHED VIDEO ON THE GEOMETRY OF THE PERIODIC LAW.

Rene

Apr 26, 2024, 3:05:19 AMApr 26
to Periodic table mailing list
Dear Julio

I agree that the idealised electron structure of the periodic table shows the geometry and bilateral symmetry that you refer to in the video.

However, in real life, this geometry does not fully reflect the periodic law, which says that the chemical and physical properties of the elements, and their compounds, show an approximate periodicity in their physical and chemical properties, plural. That is to say, for example, of 40 physical and chemical properties, idealised electron structure is just one of these multiple properties, or 1 in 40 = 2.5%.

In your video we are seeing only a very small fraction of Nature’s painting.

Bent’s line is flawed because he conflates the idealised electronic structure of the elements with their real life properties.

To see what is going on I have attached a copy of of his line (First image). The colour code is:

Yellow Alkali metal
Red Alkaline earth metal
Black Element with a maximum oxidation number of +3 following an element with a maximum oxidation number of +2
Gray Element with a maximum oxidation number of +4 following an element with a maximum oxidation number of +3
Blue Halogen
Green Noble gas

Hatched downward to right Coinage metal (Cu-Ag-Au-Rg)
Hatched downward to left Volatile metal (Zn-Cd-Hg-Cn)

The first mistake Bent makes is that although helium is a noble gas, he does not show this. If he did it would spoil the regularity of the left step periodic table. See my 2nd attachment, where I have shaded helium as a noble gas. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

The second mistake occurs in the 3rd attached image showing Bent’s line unpacked into an 18-column Lu periodic table. Notice the irregularity that is introduced in Group 3. This irregularity can also be seen in the 2nd image of the left step periodic table.

The 4th image shows Bent’s line unpacked into an 18-column La periodic table. There is no irregularity.

I have previously shown the two tables in image 5. Comparing the two, the period lengths and number of elements in each double period are mathematically regular.

The only difference is that the period lengths in the left step table show bilateral symmetry whereas those in the conventional table do not. This discrepancy is emblematic of "broken symmetry"—a concept ubiquitous in real-life nature and science. It is the idea that while systems may begin with symmetric configurations or patterns, what happens is that interactions, and other factors often lead to asymmetries. Broken symmetry is a fundamental concept in physics, particularly as I understand it in quantum mechanics and field theory, where it explains phenomena such as the diversity of particles and the emergence of complex structures from the early, homogeneous universe.

The conclusion is that, in terms of the periodic law, the conventional periodic table is a good example of the broken symmetry we see all around us. The binodic table is what we would have had but for the broken symmetry that occurred in conjunction with the Big Bang.

René

First image: Bent’s line

Second image:

Third image: