A Question

1 view

Mark Leach

Jun 4, 2024, 5:57:26 AMJun 4
to PT...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

A question…

I had an email from a visitor to the PT Database pointing out an issue with two entries, which raises a query.

In 1969 van Spronsen published his book The Periodic System of Chemical Elements: A History of the First Hundred Years

In the same year a book in Russian was published:

100 Years of Periodic Law of Chemical Elements, by Nauka (I do not have the full ref.)

This book seems to contain a ‘Russian version’ version of Wrigley's Lamina System (PT_id 921 vs.
PT_id 295).

So question: is the book simply a Russian copy of the van Spronsen book??? Are all the entries copies?

Mark Leach, Dr

meta-synthesis

Rene

Jun 4, 2024, 7:41:43 AMJun 4
to Mark Leach, PT...@googlegroups.com
The full citation may be: 100 Years of the Periodic Law of Chemical Elements. X Celebration Mendeleev Congress (Nauka, Moscow, 1969)

On 4 Jun 2024, at 7:57 PM, Mark Leach <ma...@meta-synthesis.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Larry T.

Jun 4, 2024, 8:28:12 AMJun 4
to re...@iinet.net.au, ma...@meta-synthesis.com, PT...@googlegroups.com

No. I have both hooks. The Russian book is the product of X Centennial (Jubilee) Mendeleev Congress and a product of 23 Authors.

Julio gutierrez samanez

Jun 4, 2024, 9:43:19 AMJun 4
to V.Larry Tsimmerman, Rene, Mark Leach, Periodic table mailing list

Excelente Larry, , ese libro de 23  autores debe estar publicado en ruso, convendría que se haga una publicación digital en su idioma original ya que ahora con Google Lens o el traductor de Google, es factible traducirlo a cualquier idioma. Es interesante tener la visión rusa del sistema periódico, quizá, en esos años alguno de esos 23 científicos pudo buscar un "desarrollo dialéctico" del sistema  como lo hizo Baca Mendoza de Perú en 1953, En esos tiempos de confrontación y guerra fría el desarrollo de las ideas científicas era independiente, no como ahora que gracias a Internet, es más universal. Sería bueno saber si "los rusos" de ese tiempo eran tan obstinados, como los "occidentales" de ahora, en defender a toda costa la Tabla Periódica de 7 niveles, dos torres y una parte separada del cuerpo principal, para que las columnas "coincidan" por fuerza,  con las propiedades químcas. (Me recuerda a Procusto, ese mítico griego que cortaba los pies a sus huéspedes para que sus cuerpos quepen en su catre de hierro). Quizá alguien planteó un desarrollo "disruptivo" en contra corriente. Julio

Julio gutierrez samanez

Jun 8, 2024, 1:24:33 AMJun 8
to V.Larry Tsimmerman, Rene, Mark Leach, Periodic table mailing list
Excellent Larry, that book by 23 authors should be published in Russian, it would be advisable to make a digital publication in its original language since now with Google Lens or Google Translate it is feasible to translate it into any language. It is interesting to have the Russian vision of the periodic system, perhaps in those years some of those 23 scientists could seek a "dialectical development" of the system as Baca Mendoza of Peru did in 1953. In those times of confrontation and cold war The development of Scientific ideas were independent, not like now when thanks to the Internet it is more universal. It would be good to know if "the Russians" of then were as stubborn, as the "Westerners" of now, in defending at all costs the Periodic Table of 7 levels, two towers and a separate part of the main body. So that the columns "necessarily" match the chemical properties. (Reminds me of Procrustes, that mythical Greek who cut off the feet of his guests so that their bodies would fit in his iron cot). Maybe someone proposed a "disruptive" development against the grain.
 Julio

Larry T.

Jun 8, 2024, 10:40:40 PMJun 8
to Julio gutierrez samanez, Rene, Mark Leach, Periodic table mailing list
Good idea, Julio.

One day, when I have some time I might try to do it.

Larry