Philip Stewart's chemical galaxy

Rene

May 26, 2024, 3:21:27 AMMay 26
to Periodic table mailing list
In the course of writing Tao chapter 2, on "Periodic table or periodic system", I have noted that the periodic table itself can be regarded as a system of systems, in that the individual atoms of each element can be regarded as systems.

A good analogy is to a galaxy. Galaxies themselves are composed of numerous subsystems such as star systems, star clusters, nebulae, and interstellar matter, all interacting within the larger structure of the galaxy. This complex and hierarchical nature makes a galaxy an apt metaphor for a system of systems.

This reminded me of Philip’s chemical galaxy.

In a somewhat related manner, he wrote:

I...suggest that the periodic system of chemistry is echoed in the physics of the nucleus.

The gaps between the "magic numbers" of neutrons and protons, which make for nuclear stability, sometimes coincide with the gaps between numbers of electrons in the periodic build-up of shells. Thus tin and lead, with 50 and 82 protons, are in the same group (with lead 208 also having a magic number of neutrons). Similarly, magic numbers of neutrons are found in and around calcium (also with a magic number of protons), strontium and barium.

Meta-stable nuclei are common near to the magic numbers, suggesting that it is difficult for nuclei to ‘hold on to’ too many neutrons or ‘make do with’ too few near these critical points.

It is noticeable that technetium and promethium occur five places after strontium and barium respectively, something that does not show up in tables other than Michael Laing’s.

Philip’s chemical galaxy, of course, superimposed a periodic system over an image of galaxy:

What an excellent conjunction of ideas.

As I paused working on chapter 2 a few minute ago in order to post this email, the word count marker for the chapter showed 8,000 exactly. That’s what I call a cool cosmic coincidence.

Of course, Philip was going to write this chapter, but for his passing.

It is extremely rare that I experience something so memorable as what just happened to me.

vale Philip Stewart

René

Mark Leach

May 26, 2024, 4:45:51 AMMay 26