Open reading tomorrow! | Contest sponsors galore!

Poetry Super Highway

Jun 12, 2021, 11:50:08 AM6/12/21
to psh...@googlegroups.com
Poetry Super Highway
  • PSH Live Open Reading Tomorrow!
    Join us tomorrow, Sunday, June 13 at 2pm (pacific) via Zoom to read a poem in our monthly open reading. Send me an email to sign up for the open in advance. Make sure you use your full, real name when you join with Zoom. You can also watch the event live (or afterwards) on our Facebook page.

  • Sponsor the 2021 Poetry Super Highway Poetry Contest!
    Over 180 prizes have been offered by 39 sponsors so far! We're looking for prize donations for our 24th annual summer poetry contest. If you'd like to donate, books, subscriptions, services, or anything of specific interested to Poets and Writers in exchange for promotional mention in our classified section and in contest correspondence for the duration of the contest, please CLICK HERE for all the details.

THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
Issue # 1223 - ISSN: 1523-6587

June 14-20, 2021

this week:

POETS OF THE WEEK

This week's featured poets are Cameron Morse and David Krancher.

Cameron Morse (Independence, Missouri) is Senior Reviews editor at Harbor Review, a poetry editor at Harbor Editions, and the author of six collections of poetry. His first, Fall Risk, won Glass Lyre Press’s 2018 Best Book Award. His latest is Far Other (Woodley Press, 2020). He holds an MFA from the University of Kansas City—Missouri and lives in Independence, Missouri, with his wife Lili and two children.

David Krancher (Cambridge, Massachusetts) once edited a literary journal called Dark Horse. He’s published poems in Dance magazine, Wilderness House, Dark Horse, and Bagelbards. He’s old. He lives in Cambridge.

Read their poetry HERE.

NEW POETRY AND WRITING WEBSITE LINKS

Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

New Online Poetry Resources:

Pirate's Alley Faulkner Society
The Pirate's Alley Faulkner Society, Inc. is a non-profit literary and educational organization serving readers and writers since 1990.

Litopia
The Net's Oldest Writers' Colony
.

Woodley Press
A small press showcasing Kansas authors and subjects.

New Online Publications:

HeartWood
A Literary Magazine in association with the Low-Residency MFA at West Virginia Wesleyan College
.

Small Print Magazine
A resource and showcase for writers.

Kawsmouth
Kawsmouth is a platform for writers, photographers and visual artists of all styles and backgrounds. Named after the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers, Kawsmouth offers an introspective look at our region’s past and a creative re-imagination of its future.

New Individual Poets Pages:

David Krancher
Massachussetts poet David Krancher's website.

POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

Night Surgery by Julianna McCarthyNight Surgery by Julianna McCarthy featured this week in the PSH Bookstore:

‘Night Surgery’ marks the first full-length collection by Julianna McCarthy. In it we discover the strange combinations of wonder and precision needed to repair the heart, to separate humor from pain, and stitch the night together. “By noon light / or moonlight the way home is always long...” Whether the subject is love or music or the history of loss, McCarthy’s work allows us to savor the world in real time. “Night falls as the wind rises. Front doors open all along the block, people / rushing, crowding, embracing their way to one another...” The only cure for beauty is more of it. The healing starts with ‘Night Surgery.’

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Paperback, 86 Pages, Blue Horse Press, May 2021

UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/ and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

Upcoming Shows:

June, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, June 13, 2021, 2pm (pacific)
- Tomorrow!

Join Poetry Super Highway’s monthly online open poetry reading. Tune in to listen to poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on calling in to read a poem live in Zoom. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world! Hosted by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert live in the PSH Facebook Group where a link will be posted to join in via Zoom.

Recently Archived broadcasts:

May, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, May 16, 2021

The May 2021 PSH Live Open Reading featured poems from Phoenix RisesIgor Goldkind, Carol Carpenter, Lb SedlacekIndunil Madhusankha Hewage, Michael Virga, Kat Busch, Paul Brucker Paul an me! Watch in the player below and plan on joining us on June 13 at 2pm (pacific) for our next open reading! Watch the archived edition on our website here!

April, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, April 11, 2021

The April 2021 PSH Live Open Reading featured a fantastic array of poets from all over North America (yes, even Canada) including Anita Lerek, Phoenix Rises, Caldwell Joseph Lee, Charlie Brice, Mary Eastham, LB Sedlacek, Indunil Madhusankha Hewage, Judy Brice, Duane L Herrmann, Richard Widerkehr, Judy Barrat, Antonieta Villamil (américas poet society), Michael Virga, Kaye Abikhaled, Dig Wayne, Sid Yiddish Watch in the player below! Watch the archived edition on our website here!

POETRY CLASSIFIEDS

For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway website and weekly e-mail newsletter, send an e-mail to: class...@PoetrySuperHighway.com

NORTH STREET BOOK PRIZE FOR SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKS

NORTH STREET BOOK PRIZE FOR SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKSIt's last call to submit your self-published book to the North Street Book Prize competition, sponsored by Winning Writers. Deadline: June 30. Grand prize of $5,000. Top winner in each category will win $1,000. Categories: Mainstream/Literary Fiction, Genre Fiction, Creative Nonfiction & Memoir, Poetry, Children's Picture Book, Graphic Novel & Memoir, and Art Book (new!) $13,750 in total cash prizes. Fee: $65 per book. Gift for everyone who enters. Co-sponsors: BookBaby and Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of The Frugal Book Promoter. Final judges: Jendi Reiter and Ellen LaFleche. Submit online or by mail at winningwriters.com/northpsh2106

For writing resources and contest opportunities, join our 135,000 followers on Twitter at @winningwriters.

Caesura Poetry Workshop with John Sibley Williams

Visit Alex M. Frankel's Blog

Visit Alex Frankel's BlogSupply-Side Poetics: Rising to Audienceless Bliss

https://alexmfrankel.com/alex/supply-side-poetics/.

We are now accepting entries in our Summer 2021 contest!

THE DREAMQUESTONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST - SUMMER 2021 is open to anyone who enjoys expressing innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone. Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form, or style. And/or (2) Write a short story, five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme. Genres include fiction, nonfiction, or creative nonfiction (including essay compositions, diary, journal entries, stage plays, and screenwriting). Multiple and simultaneous entries are accepted. Prizes: WWriting First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50. Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story. Postmark deadline: September 22, 2021. How to enter, visit https://www.dreamquestone.com

Stitches and Scars by Rolland Vasin

WERGLE FLOMP HUMOR POETRY CONTEST (no fee) Rolland Vasin aka Vachine, found his poetic voice in the Day Room of UCLA’s 6 West unit for Mental Illness Recovery. A Vietnam Veteran treated for war-related stresses, Rolland found solace in written and verbal expressions in modern poetic verse. His work is gutturally compelling, humorous, ironic, self-revealing, and has been described as “a novella in fourteen lines.”

See Stitches and Scars on Amazon here.

God Wrestler: A Poem for Every Torah Portion by Rick Lupert

God Wrestler by Rick LupertWith just a few exquisite words, Rick Lupert fills in the white spaces between the Torah's words, and offers holy insight, life wisdom, reverent irreverence, and sacred depth. It takes a poet to find the poetry of Torah, and a great teacher to share it. Rick is both. His book is a gift to us all. -Rabbi Ed Feinstein

One can always count on Rick to see things in ways that we would not otherwise have seen them. He has succeeded in finding messages within each parashah that are simultaneously uniquely personal and entirely universal. Humor and depth abound. Rick amplifies the timeless nature of the words of Torah, and fills each page with new perspectives. -Cantor Ellen Dreskin

Rick Lupert’s poetry is witty, knowing, wise, and a tonic to the seeking soul. -Rabbi David Wolpe

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Website Hosting with SiteGround

Website Hosting with SiteGroundPoetry Super Highway uses SiteGround for hosting our website. After years of being with a handful of other discount web hosts, we've found no-one rivals SiteGround's website loading speed, technical support and deep care for providing the best possible web-hosting solution. We couln't recommend them more highly. Click here for more info. We may receive a commission from SiteGround if you purchase their web-hosting services, but we would not include them here if we were not customers who found their service to be examplary.

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express by Rick Lupert

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express. Poems written in Japan by Rick LupertRick Lupert’s 25th collection of poems and latest travelogue written in Japan while visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima, follows in the footsteps of Richard Brautigan and is loosely inspired by his title The Tokyo-Montana Express. Follow Lupert through Japan with his signature wit and poet’s eye as your guide, as he stands in the mysterious “stick line”, as indescribable food is put in his mouth (and described anyway), as a monkey crawls on his head, as Hiroshima looms at the end of it all.

"His poems are funny, moving, insightful, and full of a traveler’s wonder and bemusement.” –Ianthe Brautigan

Click here to read poems from The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express

Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
https://PoetrySuperHighway.com/