Our contest begins Wednesday week - Still time to join as a sponsor!

1 view

Poetry Super Highway

Jun 26, 2021, 11:50:08 AM6/26/21
to psh...@googlegroups.com
Poetry Super Highway
  • Sponsor the 2021 Poetry Super Highway Poetry Contest!
    Over 200 prizes have been offered by 49 sponsors so far! We're looking for prize donations for our 24th annual summer poetry contest. If you'd like to donate, books, subscriptions, services, or anything of specific interested to Poets and Writers in exchange for promotional mention in our classified section and in contest correspondence for the duration of the contest, please CLICK HERE for all the details. The contest begins Wednesday, June 30th – Watch for a special email with all the details on how to enter.

THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
Issue # 1225 - ISSN: 1523-6587

June 28 - July 4, 2021

this week:

POETS OF THE WEEK

This week's featured poets are Layla Lenhardt and Jonathan Hayes.

Layla Lenhardt (Indianapolis, Indiana) is Editor in Chief of 1932 Quarterly. She has been most recently published in Rust + Moth, Glass Mountain, Poetry Quarterly, and Pennsylvania Literary Journal. She is a 4th place finalist in Poetry Super Highway’s 2019 Poetry Contest.

Jonathan Hayese (Santa Cruz, California) lives by the San Lorenzo River.

Read their poetry HERE.

NEW POETRY AND WRITING WEBSITE LINKS

Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

New Online Poetry Resources:

Vallejo Poetry Society
Poetry and spoken word resources in Vallejo, California and the broader San Francisco bay area.

City of Asylum
City of Asylum builds a just community by protecting and celebrating creative free expression. We provide sanctuary to endangered literary writers, so that the writers can continue to write and their voices are not silenced. We offer a broad range of free literary, arts, and humanities programs in a community setting to build social equity through cultural exchange.

New Online Publications:

What Are Birds?
What Are Birds is an online literary journal founded in 2018. We publish poetry, prose, hybrid works, short fiction and creative nonfiction, and art.

Glass Mountain
The undergraduate literary journal at the University of Houston.

Pleiades: Literature in Context
Pleiades: Literature in Context is a literary biannual featuring poetry, fiction, essays, and reviews by authors from around the world. Past contributors include winners of the Nobel, Ruth Lilly, Pulitzer, Bollingen, Prix de la Liberté, and Neustadt Prizes, recipients of Guggenheim, Whiting, National Book Critics Circle and National Book Awards, and many writers seeing their work in print for the first time.

New Individual Poets Pages:

Layla Lenhardt Poet
Indianapolis poet and publisher Layla Lenhardt.

POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

African American Poetry: 250 Years of Struggle & Song (LOA #333): A Library of America Anthology (The Library of America)African American Poetry: 250 Years of Struggle and Song edited by Kevin Young featured this week in the PSH Bookstore:

A literary landmark: the biggest, most ambitious anthology of Black poetry ever published, gathering 250 poets from the colonial period to the present.

Across a turbulent history, from such vital centers as Harlem, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and the Bay Area, Black poets created a rich and multifaceted tradition that has been both a reckoning with American realities and an imaginative response to them. Capturing the power and beauty of this diverse tradition in a single indispensable volume, African American Poetry reveals as never before its centrality and its challenge to American poetry and culture.

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Hardcover, 1170 Pages, Library of America, October 2020

UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/ and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

Upcoming Shows:

Conversation with 2021 PSH Contest Judges
Sunday, July 11, 2021, 2pm (pacific)

Join my conversation with the 2021 Poetry Contest Judges (in the Poetry Super Highway Facebook Group via Zoom) to learn what they look for when they are scoring your contest entry poems. They will share valuable insights and read some of their own work as well as work that they enjoy. Moderated by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert. If time, you’ll have the chance to ask questions to the judges. (What other poetry contest gives you this kind of access to the contest judges?)

Recently Archived broadcasts:

June, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, June 13, 2021

Wow...our June reading was rich with poetry (and discussions of Hawaii) and included work from Feby Joseph, Duane L Herrmann, Carol Carpenter, Charlie Brice, Patrice M. Wilson, Richard Widerkehr, Indunil Madhusankha Hewage, Lb Sedlacek, Mary Kennedy Eastham, Judy Brice, Frogg Corpse, Anita Lerek and Michael Virga. Check it out on our website here or on Facebook here.

May, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, May 16, 2021

The May 2021 PSH Live Open Reading featured poems from Phoenix RisesIgor Goldkind, Carol Carpenter, Lb SedlacekIndunil Madhusankha Hewage, Michael Virga, Kat Busch, Paul Brucker Paul an me! Watch in the player below and plan on joining us on June 13 at 2pm (pacific) for our next open reading! Watch the archived edition on our website here!

POETRY CLASSIFIEDS

For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway website and weekly e-mail newsletter, send an e-mail to: class...@PoetrySuperHighway.com

NORTH STREET BOOK PRIZE FOR SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKS

NORTH STREET BOOK PRIZE FOR SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKSIt's last call to submit your self-published book to the North Street Book Prize competition, sponsored by Winning Writers. Deadline: June 30. Grand prize of $5,000. Top winner in each category will win $1,000. Categories: Mainstream/Literary Fiction, Genre Fiction, Creative Nonfiction & Memoir, Poetry, Children's Picture Book, Graphic Novel & Memoir, and Art Book (new!) $13,750 in total cash prizes. Fee: $65 per book. Gift for everyone who enters. Co-sponsors: BookBaby and Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of The Frugal Book Promoter. Final judges: Jendi Reiter and Ellen LaFleche. Submit online or by mail at winningwriters.com/northpsh2106

For writing resources and contest opportunities, join our 135,000 followers on Twitter at @winningwriters.

Build Your Own Brain by Greg Farnum

Build Your Own Brain
Poetry for the new century
By Greg Farnum

"Terrific. Much to like throughout."
--Ken Mikolowski, author of Little Mysteries and Big Enigmas.

gtfa...@yahoo.com

We are now accepting entries in our Summer 2021 contest!

THE DREAMQUESTONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST - SUMMER 2021 is open to anyone who enjoys expressing innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone. Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, thirty lines or fewer on any subject, form, or style. And/or (2) Write a short story, five pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme. Genres include fiction, nonfiction, or creative nonfiction (including essay compositions, diary, journal entries, stage plays, and screenwriting). Multiple and simultaneous entries are accepted. Prizes: WWriting First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50. Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story. Postmark deadline: September 22, 2021. How to enter, visit https://www.dreamquestone.com

Stitches and Scars by Rolland Vasin

WERGLE FLOMP HUMOR POETRY CONTEST (no fee) Rolland Vasin aka Vachine, found his poetic voice in the Day Room of UCLA’s 6 West unit for Mental Illness Recovery. A Vietnam Veteran treated for war-related stresses, Rolland found solace in written and verbal expressions in modern poetic verse. His work is gutturally compelling, humorous, ironic, self-revealing, and has been described as “a novella in fourteen lines.”

See Stitches and Scars on Amazon here.

Caesura Poetry Workshop with John Sibley Williams

Visit Alex M. Frankel's Blog

Visit Alex Frankel's BlogSupply-Side Poetics: Rising to Audienceless Bliss

https://alexmfrankel.com/alex/supply-side-poetics/.

Website Hosting with SiteGround

Website Hosting with SiteGroundPoetry Super Highway uses SiteGround for hosting our website. After years of being with a handful of other discount web hosts, we've found no-one rivals SiteGround's website loading speed, technical support and deep care for providing the best possible web-hosting solution. We couln't recommend them more highly. Click here for more info. We may receive a commission from SiteGround if you purchase their web-hosting services, but we would not include them here if we were not customers who found their service to be examplary.

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express by Rick Lupert

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express. Poems written in Japan by Rick LupertRick Lupert’s 25th collection of poems and latest travelogue written in Japan while visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima, follows in the footsteps of Richard Brautigan and is loosely inspired by his title The Tokyo-Montana Express. Follow Lupert through Japan with his signature wit and poet’s eye as your guide, as he stands in the mysterious “stick line”, as indescribable food is put in his mouth (and described anyway), as a monkey crawls on his head, as Hiroshima looms at the end of it all.

"His poems are funny, moving, insightful, and full of a traveler’s wonder and bemusement.” –Ianthe Brautigan

Click here to read poems from The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express

God Wrestler: A Poem for Every Torah Portion by Rick Lupert

God Wrestler by Rick LupertWith just a few exquisite words, Rick Lupert fills in the white spaces between the Torah's words, and offers holy insight, life wisdom, reverent irreverence, and sacred depth. It takes a poet to find the poetry of Torah, and a great teacher to share it. Rick is both. His book is a gift to us all. -Rabbi Ed Feinstein

One can always count on Rick to see things in ways that we would not otherwise have seen them. He has succeeded in finding messages within each parashah that are simultaneously uniquely personal and entirely universal. Humor and depth abound. Rick amplifies the timeless nature of the words of Torah, and fills each page with new perspectives. -Cantor Ellen Dreskin

Rick Lupert’s poetry is witty, knowing, wise, and a tonic to the seeking soul. -Rabbi David Wolpe

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
https://PoetrySuperHighway.com/