RESEND / LINKS FIXED: add your e-Book to the Free-For-All / Open Reading Tomorrow!

Rick Lupert

Nov 6, 2021, 1:14:11 PM11/6/21
to psh...@googlegroups.com
Poetry Super Highway

Sorry for sending this twice today: The internet Gods were against us this morning as the links had gone mising from the edition of this newsletter sent out previously. We wanted to make sure you could click all the things you wanted to click so here's the corrected version:

  • Join the E-Book Free-For-All!
    12 e-books have been sent in for the Poetry Super Highway's 17th Annual E-Book Free-For-All since we announced it last week. Join in! Send us your e-book during the month of November and we'll add it to the pile of e-books which will be freely available to download by anyone on earth for 24 hours on December 1st, 2021...a free-for-all.

  • PSH Live Open Reading - Tomorrow!
    Join our monthly online open poetry reading Tomorrow, Sunday, November 7 at 2pm (pacific). Tune in to listen to poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on calling in to read a poem live in Zoom. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world! Hosted by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert live in the PSH Facebook Group where a link will be posted to join in via Zoom.

THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
Issue # 1245 - ISSN: 1523-6587

November 8-14, 2021

this week:
  • This week featuring poets from New York City, New York and Augusta, Georgia.

  • 5 New poetry and writing website links added this week.

  • The UnSpoken: Bob Holman and th UnSpoken Word Movement featured this week in the PSH Bookstore

  • PSH LIVE - Contest Winners Announcement archived. Next Show: November Open Reading, Sunday, November 7 at 2pm (pacific) – Tomorrow!

POETS OF THE WEEK

This week's featured poets are: Carrie Magness Radna and Candice Kelsey:

Carrie Magness Radna (New York City, New York) an audiovisual cataloger at the New York Public Library, a choral singer and a poet who loves to travel. Her poems have previously appeared in The Oracular Tree, Mediterranean Poetry, Muddy River Poetry Review, Spillwords.com, Poetry Super Highway, Shot Glass Journal (Muse-Pie Press), Vita Brevis, Home Planet News, Cajun Mutt Press, Walt’s Corner, Polarity eMagazine, The Poetic Bond (VIII-X), Alien Buddha Press, Jerry Jazz Musician, Rye Whiskey Review, Litterateur RW and First Literary Review-East. Her first poetry collection, Hurricanes never apologize(Luchador Press) was published in December 2019. Her new poetry collection In the blue hour (Nirala Publications), was published in February 2021. She won Honorable Mention Award twice, for “all trains are haunted” (Non-rhyming poetry: 2019) and “May (a Pantoum)” (Rhyming poetry: 2021) in Writer’s Digest Writer’s Competition. Born in Norman, Oklahoma, she now lives with her husband in Manhattan, New York.

Candice Kelsey (Augusta, Georgia) teaches writing in the South. Her poetry appears in Poets Reading the News and Poet Lore among other journals, and her first collection, Still I am Pushing, explores mother-daughter relationships as well as toxic body messages.

Read their poetry HERE.

NEW POETRY AND WRITING WEBSITE LINKS

Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

New Online Poetry Resources:

Lift Every Voice
Celebrating African American Poetry

New Online Publications:

Waxing & Waning
The editors of Waxing & Waning want what’s on the fringe. Whatever is deep and true. The moon represents this idea: what is dark, what is brooding, what is wild, what is crescent and changing.

River and South Review
River and South Review is an online literary journal run by the students of the Maslow Family Graduate Program in Creative Writing at Wilkes University. We publish new, emerging, and seasoned writers.

Open Country Mag
Open Country Mag is a multiplatform space for African literature. We exist to record literary culture in Africa; to make the deep archives of literary resources, data, and history available for use anywhere, from general reading to academia; and, crucially, to be a ladder for the next generation of African writers, thinkers, literary journalists, and curators, to provide necessary tools in their development.

New Individual Poets Pages:

Candice M. Kelsey
"Poetry is what happens when the freeway meets a Japanese pine..." The website of Augusta, Georgia poet Candice M. Kelsey.

POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

The UnSpoken: Bob Holman and the UnSpoken Word Movement The UnSpoken: Bob Holman and the UnSpoken Word Movement featured this week in the PSH Bookstore:

This Bob Holman  book speaks for itself (or not)! Includes new poems, some greatest hits, a gang of "shorties," and full sections of Dance/Performance Poems and Praise Poems for Ntozake Shange, Sun Ra, James Gandolfino, Jessica Hagedorn, Elizabeth Murray, Ed Sanders and many others.

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Paperback, 210 Pages, YBK Publishers, December 2019

UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

We host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/ and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

Upcoming Shows:

November, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, November 7, 2021
- Tomorrow!

Watch poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on Zooming in to read a poem live. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world! Hosted by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert live in the PSH Facebook Group where a link will be posted to join in via Zoom.

Recently Archived broadcasts:

PSH Contest Winners Announcement
Sunday, October 3, 2021

We announced the winners of our Poetry Contest here first! Check out the archived broadcast on our Facebook page! This is also the only place where we announced the people who scored in the top 10 scoring spots and invited anyone of those folks watching to call in and read their poems.

September, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, September 12, 2021

We had a great group of poets from all over the U.S. read in this month’s show, including Hanoch Guy from Elkins Park, PA, Phoenix Rises from Salt Lake City, Utah, John Dorroh (a New Orleans transplant) reading from Highland, Illinois, Indunil M. Hewage joining us again from Washington State, Richard Wiederkehr from Bellingham, Washington, Lorraine Macmilan from Bloomington, Delaware, Duane Herrman from Topeka, Kansas (his 75th reading today!), Michael Virga from Birmingham, Alabama, and Sean Mahoney from Santa Ana, California who gave us the phrase “frickin’ doohickies” in a new poem! Watch the whole thing in the player on our website here.

POETRY CLASSIFIEDS

For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway website and weekly e-mail newsletter, send an e-mail to: class...@PoetrySuperHighway.com

New from Winning Writers: Get a Critique for Your Poem, Story, or Essay

New from Winning Writers: Get a Critique for Your Poem, Story, or EssayWinning Writers has engaged Tracy Koretsky to provide expert private critiques of your poems, stories, and essays. Her work has been widely published in literary magazines and has earned more than 50 prizes, including four Pushcarts and three Best of the Net. "I will help you see the good in your work and offer specific, respectful, practical options to consider. Approaching your piece from a variety of angles, I will aim to provide you with new ways to think about it."

Critiques are $45 each. Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more at https://winningwriters.com/critpsh2111

For daily contest news and resources, join our 135,000 followers on Twitter at https://twitter.com/winningwriters

Write your best poem or story for a chance to win cash prizes totaling $1275.00!

THE DREAMQUESTONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST - WINTER 2021 - 2022 is open to anyone who enjoys expressing innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone. Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, 30 lines or fewer on any subject, form, or style. And/or (2) Write a short story, 5 pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme. Genres include fiction, nonfiction, and creative nonfiction (including essay compositions, diary, journal entries, stage plays, and screenwriting). Multiple and simultaneous entries are accepted. Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50. Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story. Postmark deadline: March 31, 2022. How to enter, visit https://www.dreamquestone.com

The Second Sunday Poetry Series is Back!

The Second Sunday Poetry Series hosted by Alex M. FrankelNext Open Mic:
Sunday November 14 at 5pm 3433 Cahuenga Blvd. West Near Universal Studios

www.secondsundaypoetry.com

Stitches and Scars by Rolland Vasin

Stitches and Scars by Rolland Vasin Rolland Vasin aka Vachine, found his poetic voice in the Day Room of UCLA’s 6 West unit for Mental Illness Recovery. A Vietnam Veteran treated for war-related stresses, Rolland found solace in written and verbal expressions in modern poetic verse. His work is gutturally compelling, humorous, ironic, self-revealing, and has been described as “a novella in fourteen lines.”

See Stitches and Scars on Amazon here.

Website Hosting with SiteGround

Website Hosting with SiteGroundPoetry Super Highway uses SiteGround for hosting our website. After years of being with a handful of other discount web hosts, we've found no-one rivals SiteGround's website loading speed, technical support and deep care for providing the best possible web-hosting solution. We couln't recommend them more highly. Click here for more info. We may receive a commission from SiteGround if you purchase their web-hosting services, but we would not include them here if we were not customers who found their service to be examplary.

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express by Rick Lupert

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express. Poems written in Japan by Rick LupertRick Lupert’s 25th collection of poems and latest travelogue written in Japan while visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima, follows in the footsteps of Richard Brautigan and is loosely inspired by his title The Tokyo-Montana Express. Follow Lupert through Japan with his signature wit and poet’s eye as your guide, as he stands in the mysterious “stick line”, as indescribable food is put in his mouth (and described anyway), as a monkey crawls on his head, as Hiroshima looms at the end of it all.

"His poems are funny, moving, insightful, and full of a traveler’s wonder and bemusement.” –Ianthe Brautigan

Click here to read poems from The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express

God Wrestler: A Poem for Every Torah Portion by Rick Lupert

God Wrestler by Rick LupertWith just a few exquisite words, Rick Lupert fills in the white spaces between the Torah's words, and offers holy insight, life wisdom, reverent irreverence, and sacred depth. It takes a poet to find the poetry of Torah, and a great teacher to share it. Rick is both. His book is a gift to us all. -Rabbi Ed Feinstein

One can always count on Rick to see things in ways that we would not otherwise have seen them. He has succeeded in finding messages within each parashah that are simultaneously uniquely personal and entirely universal. Humor and depth abound. Rick amplifies the timeless nature of the words of Torah, and fills each page with new perspectives. -Cantor Ellen Dreskin

Rick Lupert’s poetry is witty, knowing, wise, and a tonic to the seeking soul. -Rabbi David Wolpe

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
https://PoetrySuperHighway.com/