a mid-October dose of poetry

Poetry Super Highway

Oct 16, 2021, 11:50:09 AM10/16/21
to psh...@googlegroups.com
Poetry Super Highway
  • Friendly Reminder to Contest Sponsors
    A friendly reminder to sponsors of the 24th annual Poetry Super Highway Poetry Contest: Prizes are due to be sent out by This Monday October 18. If you haven't notified me that you've sent you're prizes out, please do so by Monday. Thanks so much for sponsoring! If you didn't get the e-mail letting you know where to send your prizes, please send me an e-mail and I'll resend you the info.

THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
Issue # 1242 - ISSN: 1523-6587

October 18-24, 2021

this week:

POETS OF THE WEEK

This week's featured poets are: M. A. Dubbs and Robin Shepard:

M. A. Dubbs (Fishers, Indiana) is an award-winning Mexican American and LGBT+ writer who hails from Indiana. Dubbs writes poetry, fiction, and flash fiction. Her writing has been published in literary magazines and anthologies across the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. She published her first collection of her poetry and short fiction titled Aerodynamic Drag: Poetry and Short Fiction (2021).

Robin Shepard (Atwater, California) is a poet and musician living in Atwater, California. His publishing credits could fill a thimble.

Read their poetry HERE.

NEW POETRY AND WRITING WEBSITE LINKS

Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

New Online Poetry Resources:

IndyArtsGuide
Discover new arts events, creative opportunities, and cultural experiences, and explore Indy’s vibrant arts scene all in one place. Indy Arts Guide is the most comprehensive online resource for the arts in Indianapolis.

Backbone Press
A small press providing a venue for ethnic poets. A publisher for African-American poets with an interest in poetry by Latino/a, Asian as well. We seek poetry that's political, social, gritty, and poignant. We publish emerging and established poets
.

Marick Press
Marick Press is a literary publisher, founded to preserve the best work by poets around the world, including many under published women poets.

Unbound Book Festival
Bringing together readers and writers to inspire a life-long love of books and reading.

New Online Publications:

Collision Literary Magazine
Founded in 2001, Collision Literary Magazine publishes undergraduate writing and art from all over the world. Collision accepts fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art, with a particular interest in experimental work that challenges style and structure. It is a student-run publication housed under the English Department at the University of Pittsburgh.

Riggwelter
Riggwelter is a journal of creative arts founded by Jonathan Kinsman in 2017. It releases an issue once a month, containing poetry, short fiction, visual art and experimental media. Riggwelter also releases reviews and essays on an as and when basis.

POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

Uprising / Alzamiento by Lisbeth CoimanUprising / Alzamiento by Lisbeth Coiman featured this week in the PSH Bookstore:

"Lisbeth Coiman is a dazzling new voice. With tender rage, she excavates what it means to love and grieve a homeland." -Ariel Gore, author of Hexing the Patriarchy: 26 Potions, Spells, and Magical Elixirs to Embolden the Resistance and F*ck Happiness.

"Lisbeth Coiman writes 'Before I was born / A pristine future / streamed down from El Ávila tributaries' in the opening of her poem "El Guaire." With these words and beyond, I am also taken to my point in history, the promise that we are all born into without knowing what's to come, and how we are as individuals and as a collective, forced to reckon with a past that we are killing off to chase a promise of a better future. For immigrants, this carries a bigger weight, as we are both killers of self while our selves are so often the victims of a society that wants to kill us. Coiman's collection is a deeply personal work that makes us revisit the guilts and the angers that we carry." -Chiwan Choi, author of The Yellow House

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Paperback, 108 Pages, Finishing Line Press, August 2021

UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/ and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

Upcoming Shows:

November, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, November 7, 2021

Watch poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on Zooming in to read a poem live. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world! Hosted by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert live in the PSH Facebook Group where a link will be posted to join in via Zoom.

Recently Archived broadcasts:

PSH Contest Winners Announcement
Sunday, October 3, 2021

We announced the winners of our Poetry Contest here first! Check out the archived broadcast on our Facebook page! This is also the only place where we announced the people who scored in the top 10 scoring spots and invited anyone of those folks watching to call in and read their poems.

September, 2021 Worldwide Open Poetry Reading
Sunday, September 12, 2021

We had a great group of poets from all over the U.S. read in this month’s show, including Hanoch Guy from Elkins Park, PA, Phoenix Rises from Salt Lake City, Utah, John Dorroh (a New Orleans transplant) reading from Highland, Illinois, Indunil M. Hewage joining us again from Washington State, Richard Wiederkehr from Bellingham, Washington, Lorraine Macmilan from Bloomington, Delaware, Duane Herrman from Topeka, Kansas (his 75th reading today!), Michael Virga from Birmingham, Alabama, and Sean Mahoney from Santa Ana, California who gave us the phrase “frickin’ doohickies” in a new poem! Watch the whole thing in the player on our website here.

POETRY CLASSIFIEDS
For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway website and weekly e-mail newsletter, send an e-mail to: class...@PoetrySuperHighway.com

The Best Free Literary Contests: Free Newsletter

The Best Free Literary Contests: Free NewsletterSubscribe to the free Winning Writers email newsletter and receive monthly news about the best free literary contests, edited by Jendi Reiter. Join the 50,000+ people who subscribe today. When you do, you'll get immediate online access to our contest database. Browse our detailed profiles of over 200 free poetry and prose contests. We won't share your email address with anyone. Unsubscribe at any time.

Subscribe now at https://winningwriters.com/freepsh2110

For daily contest news and resources, join our 135,000 followers on Twitter at https://twitter.com/winningwriters

Stitches and Scars by Rolland Vasin

WERGLE FLOMP HUMOR POETRY CONTEST (no fee) Rolland Vasin aka Vachine, found his poetic voice in the Day Room of UCLA’s 6 West unit for Mental Illness Recovery. A Vietnam Veteran treated for war-related stresses, Rolland found solace in written and verbal expressions in modern poetic verse. His work is gutturally compelling, humorous, ironic, self-revealing, and has been described as “a novella in fourteen lines.”

See Stitches and Scars on Amazon here.

Visit Alex M. Frankel's Blog

Visit Alex Frankel's BlogSupply-Side Poetics: Rising to Audienceless Bliss

https://alexmfrankel.com/alex/supply-side-poetics/.

Write your best poem or story for a chance to win cash prizes totaling $1275.00!

THE DREAMQUESTONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST - WINTER 2021 - 2022 is open to anyone who enjoys expressing innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone. Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, 30 lines or fewer on any subject, form, or style. And/or (2) Write a short story, 5 pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme. Genres include fiction, nonfiction, and creative nonfiction (including essay compositions, diary, journal entries, stage plays, and screenwriting). Multiple and simultaneous entries are accepted. Prizes: Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100. Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50. Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story. Postmark deadline: March 31, 2022. How to enter, visit https://www.dreamquestone.com

Build Your Own Brain by Greg Farnum

Build Your Own Brain
Poetry for the new century
By Greg Farnum

"Terrific. Much to like throughout."
--Ken Mikolowski, author of Little Mysteries and Big Enigmas.

gtfa...@yahoo.com

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

The Bond Street Review, a bi-annual literary journal publishing from Rochester, New York since 2011, is now accepting submissions for the Summer 2021 issue (due out in early August) – deadline to submit is July 15th. Want to send us something? You should. And don't be shy about sharing the info with any writers whose work you think we should read. Go to https://inkpublications1.wixsite.com/mysite for submission guidelines and to read previous issues.

Unlikely Stories

www.UnlikelyStories.org has been live on the web since 1998, and publishes literature, criticism of art and society, visual art, movies, and music, as well as 3-5 books a year. Check us out at https://www.UnlikelyStories.org/

Space Cowboy Books

Support Indie Bookstores! Space Cowboy Books is an independent brick and mortar bookstore in Joshua Tree, CA - specializing in science fiction but also carrying a wide range of general interest books. We host author events, produce Simultaneous Times podcast, and carry a wide range of local authors and poets. Visit our online store.  https://bookshop.org/shop/spacecowboybooks

Dead Shark on the N Train by Susana H. Case

Dead Shark on the N Train, from Broadstone Books, 2020, which won a Pinnacle Book Award for Best Poetry Book, a NYC Big Book Award Distinguished Favorite, and was a finalist for the Eric Hoffer Book Award is available at https://www.broadstonebooks.com/shop/p/dead-shark-on-the-n-train-poetry-by-susana-h-case or at: www.susanahcase.com.

“Dead Men Don’t Know Jack” - western poems by LB Sedlacek

“Dead Men Don’t Know Jack” - western poems by LB Sedlacek now available.  Includes her most popular poem the title poem based on Wild Bill Hickok’s death.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096LS1CYW

This book of poetry contains my most popular poem, the title poem, “Dead Men Don’t Know Jack”. It’s a poem based on a character actor I knew who was in a play based on the death of Wild Bill Hickok in South Dakota.

The other poems in this collection cover a range of ideas, thoughts, themes and styles. It’s my special almost western array of poems with some regular verses thrown in as well.

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association (SFPA)

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association (SFPA) is open for membership universally and diversely. Membership is $15/year for digital publications, starting at $45/year (US) for print and $35/year (US) for mixed media. Membership includes quarterly issues of Star*Line, The Rhysling Anthology (for the Rhysling Award for best short and long SF, Fantasy or Horror poem), the Dwarf Stars Anthology (for the Dwarf Stars Award for best poem 10 lines or less). Plus access to over 75 collections of poetry nominated for the annual Elgin Award for best speculative chapbook and full-length collection; critique groups; a vibrant community of poets from around the world. Please visit sfpoetry.com/join.html for specifics and to sign up.

Dreams and Nightmares Magazine

Dreams and Nightmares, the magazine of fantastic poetry since 1986, Print subs $25/6 issues ($30 outside North America); Sample $5. PDF $1/issue or lifetime pdf sub for $39; PayPal to jopn...@gmail.com. Open to authors of diverse backgrounds. Submissions: dckm...@gmail.com. Pmt $12 on acceptance & contributor's copy. URL: http://dreamsandnightmaresmagazine.blogspot.com/.

Lummox Productions

Since 1994, Lummox Productions has supported the small press and it's poets. With a catalog of over 150 publications, there is something for everyone. Recent books include Stitches and Scars by Vachine (2021). www.lummoxpress.com

Compulsive Reader

Reviews of books by some of the hottest writers working today, interviews, literary news, and giveaways galore. It's a haven for book lovers. http://www.compulsivereader.com/

Red Thread Through a Rusty Needle: Poetry by Gay Guard-Chamberlin

Award-winning Chicago poet Gay Guard-Chamberlin's collection, Red Thread Through a Rusty Needle, now available. Three dozen evocative poems that explore the natural world, mothers and daughters, the inner life of words, and the secret lives of ordinary objects. Her sister, award-winning Sacramento poet Anara Guard's collection, Hand on My Heart, contains 35 poignant and powerful poems of praise and lament, floods and heat waves, love and Mason jars. Buy them both as a discounted "Sister Set." Visit siblingrevelrypoetry.newwindpublishing.com

To Light a House of Bones By Carey Link (Blue Light Press)

To Light a House of Bones

Reading Carey Link's new collection, I found myself breathing more slowly, easing into a world of light, color, and, most importantly, attentiveness to the moment. These poems of hard-earned transcendence admit that, yes, we all live in a 'house of bones' but also assert the possibility of transcendence: through language, through the tenderness of the mother-daughter bond, through lyrical vision. Floating in this book, I felt an amniotic sustenance, a challenge to be continually reborn, and to live fully.

- Jennifer Horne, Alabama Poet Laureate, author of Bottle Tree and Borrowed Light, Little Wanderer

God Wrestler: A Poem for Every Torah Portion by Rick Lupert

God Wrestler by Rick LupertWith just a few exquisite words, Rick Lupert fills in the white spaces between the Torah's words, and offers holy insight, life wisdom, reverent irreverence, and sacred depth. It takes a poet to find the poetry of Torah, and a great teacher to share it. Rick is both. His book is a gift to us all. -Rabbi Ed Feinstein

One can always count on Rick to see things in ways that we would not otherwise have seen them. He has succeeded in finding messages within each parashah that are simultaneously uniquely personal and entirely universal. Humor and depth abound. Rick amplifies the timeless nature of the words of Torah, and fills each page with new perspectives. -Cantor Ellen Dreskin

Rick Lupert’s poetry is witty, knowing, wise, and a tonic to the seeking soul. -Rabbi David Wolpe

Click here to purchase or for more information.

Website Hosting with SiteGround

Website Hosting with SiteGroundPoetry Super Highway uses SiteGround for hosting our website. After years of being with a handful of other discount web hosts, we've found no-one rivals SiteGround's website loading speed, technical support and deep care for providing the best possible web-hosting solution. We couln't recommend them more highly. Click here for more info. We may receive a commission from SiteGround if you purchase their web-hosting services, but we would not include them here if we were not customers who found their service to be examplary.

I Wish My Father, a memoir-in-verse by Lesléa Newman

I Wish My Father, a memoir-in-verse by Lesléa Newman explores the journey of an adult daughter through the last years of her father’s life as with great anger and sadness, he moves from husband to widow, attoreny to retiree, tennis player to spectator, driver to passenger, and homeowner to independent living resident. "A big-hearted masterpiece that has my whole-hearted recommendation.” — Alexandra Umlas, Cultural Weekly   https://lesleanewman.com/books-for-adults/poetry/i-wish-my-father/

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express by Rick Lupert

The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express. Poems written in Japan by Rick LupertRick Lupert’s 25th collection of poems and latest travelogue written in Japan while visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima, follows in the footsteps of Richard Brautigan and is loosely inspired by his title The Tokyo-Montana Express. Follow Lupert through Japan with his signature wit and poet’s eye as your guide, as he stands in the mysterious “stick line”, as indescribable food is put in his mouth (and described anyway), as a monkey crawls on his head, as Hiroshima looms at the end of it all.

"His poems are funny, moving, insightful, and full of a traveler’s wonder and bemusement.” –Ianthe Brautigan

Click here to read poems from The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express

Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
https://PoetrySuperHighway.com/