MythP3 == MythTV + PS3

1 view

Kirk.P...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2006, 6:05:48 PM12/17/06
to Playstaion3 Penguins
Lets start discussing what it would take to port MythTV to the PS3. It
may be easier than you think!

Theodore Murdock

Jan 7, 2007, 12:07:50 PM1/7/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
I'm not sure whether any changes are necessary to MythTV itself...I
know there are versions available for Mac/PPC, so it's possible that
Linux/PPC support is already built in...though I have seen postings
that not every new version of MythTV is PPC compatible when first
released...I just came across that info recently, so I haven't had time
to check whether the version I'm compiling (the .20 tarball) is
compatible or not.

I'm runing Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3, and I've been working on
compiling MythTV for several days, but haven't got it to complete
yet...if anyone else wants to try, the first thing to do is to fix the
repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ...the main repository lines are
commented out in each of the three files found there, delete the #
marks to fix them.

After that, you'll need to install all the build dependencies for
MythTV...so far I've added qt-devel, libXv-devel, libXvMC-devel,
libXxf86vm-devel, and libXmu-devel due to complaints from the linker.
The binaries of all of those except XvMC were already installed (since
there aren't any proprietary drivers available for the PS3 video card,
I'm guessing XvMC won't be able to do hardware decoding on the PS3
unless or until we get some...I'm still hoping to be proved wrong on
that though).

The current error message that I'm getting from the linker is a bit
concerning, though, as I'm not sure I'll be able to fix it...it seems
to be complaining about not having some XvMC related headers that I
would think should have been installed with XvMC-devel...here's the
output, if anyone can shed some light on it...

g++ -o mythfrontend version.o main.o manualbox.o playbackbox.o
viewscheduled.o globalsettings.o manualschedule.o programrecpriority.o
channelrecpriority.o stat usbox.o networkcontrol.o moc_manualbox.o
moc_playbackbox.o moc_viewscheduled.o m oc_manualschedule.o
moc_programrecpriority.o moc_channelrecpriority.o moc_status box.o
moc_networkcontrol.o -L/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib -L../../libs/libmyth
-L../../ libs/libmythtv -L../../libs/libavutil -L../../libs/libavcodec
-L../../libs/libav format -L../../libs/libmythfreemheg
-L../../libs/libmythui -L../../libs/libmythu pnp
-L../../libs/libmythlivemedia -lmythtv-0.20 -lmythavformat-0.20
-lmythavutil -0.20 -lmythavcodec-0.20 -lmythfreemheg-0.20
-lmythupnp-0.20 -lmythlivemedia-0.2 0 -lmyth-0.20 -lmythui-0.20
-lfreetype -lmp3lame -lasound -lXinerama -lXv -lXxf8 6vm -lXrandr
-lqt-mt -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.20.so: undefined reference to
`XvMCLoadQM atrix'
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.20.so: undefined reference to
`XvMCSyncSu rface'
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.20.so: undefined reference to
`XVMC_field _start'
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.20.so: undefined reference to
`XvMCFlushS urface'
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.20.so: undefined reference to
`XvMCBeginS urface'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mythfrontend] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/mythtv-0.20/programs/mythfrontend'
make[1]: *** [sub-mythfrontend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/mythtv-0.20/programs'
make: *** [sub-programs] Error 2

Kirk Smith

Jan 7, 2007, 5:41:58 PM1/7/07
to PS3Pe...@googlegroups.com
Would you mind if I posted this email (with or without your name if
you want credit for it) on the ps3penguins.blogspot.com? I think it
would be a good idea to see what other people have done /are doing
with it.

Thanks,
PS3Penguin

Theodore Murdock

Jan 8, 2007, 10:59:43 AM1/8/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
Please do, anything that gets more eyes on the problem...

I suppose I should also mention that anyone who wants to compile MythTV
also *must* use --enable-proc-opt

If you don't, MythTV will try to compile for a generic x86 processor,
--enable-proc-opt allows it to compile for a specific processor
architecture, which is something we need when we're compiling for PPC.

modemboy

Jan 8, 2007, 9:04:20 PM1/8/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins

Hey guys, no PS3 here but I would love to buy one when they get under
$400 and can support MythTV, keep up the good work.

Just thought I would point out that you can compile MythTV without XvMC
support, and as there is no hope of it working at the moment that might
be the way to go.

I think you will need to remove the XvMC libraries as it gets enabled
automatically (usually) if the files are present. Relevant info:
"If you have the libXvMCW wrapper installed, then it will be
automatically enabled by the configure program and all of the available
library assets will be utilized. However, double-check your ./configure
output during MythTV configuration state whether it says "yes" after
"XvMC support" (or XvMC pro support) or not, since some distributions
do not enable XvMC automatically regardless of XvMC library found in
/usr/lib."

taken from: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

RedMarine

Jan 17, 2007, 11:14:09 AM1/17/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
http://ps3.qj.net/MythTV-on-your-PS3/pg/49/aid/79651

Quoted Text from PS3.QJ.NET

"...It was only a matter of time before someone tried a USB TV Tuner
and successfully put together a working set of drivers for it. And that
someone would be Takeshi Yaegashi who has been successful in patching
the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U's Linux drivers to work properly on the
PS3. The problem was that the original GO7007 Video4Linux2 drivers
didn't run properly on a 32bit userland/64bit kernel environment.

The released patches will patch the GO7007 Video4Linux2 drivers and the
Addon CD to improve compatibility with the said environment, which is
common on all PS3 Linux distros. What you'll have to do is patch the
drivers, then patch the Addon CD file and finally compile the kernel
given in the Addon CD. If this sounds a bit difficult, you can wait for
distros to appear with this patches built in.

I would expect Gentoo to be the first with the patches, seeing how
they're already thinking of including MythTV on the Gentoo Live CD. If
you do understand the consequences and want to go ahead with this,
download the patches, the new Addon CD, patch both of them, and then
use the new customised kernel with your distro. Expect a thorough
how-to soon!"