VIDEO HELP PLEASE

1 view

RedMarine

Jan 5, 2007, 4:20:55 PM1/5/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
ok i had to do the text install. i'm using a normal tv. in "An
introduction to Linux on the PlayStation 3"
(http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-linuxps3-1/) it
says
"To get an analog system to boot into its proper
resolution at startup, edit the file /etc/kboot.conf, and change
the line which reads default=ydl to default=ydl480i and save the file.
"

how do i edit that file.

Kirk Smith

Jan 6, 2007, 12:12:55 AM1/6/07
to PS3Pe...@googlegroups.com
login as root (or upgrade to root by "su - root" and enter root password).
then
cd /etc
and edit kboot.conf ... there are many editors .. I usually use vim ..but 99% of machines have the vi editor ..it sucks if you don't know the commands .. but almost all unix has it so ...I will explain with vi. BTW .. vim is very similiar to vi .. but is a little easier to use.

to edit with vi do:
vi kboot.conf
(screen should change to show the file .. be careful what you type vi has a "command" mode and an "edit" mode ..  it starts in command mode .. which you can always return to by hitting the "ESC" key).
use up/down arrows to go to the line that has "default=ydl" .. then hit right arrow over to the end of the l .. then hit the "a" (lower case) key to enter "edit" mode (a is for append .. because your going to add chars to the end of the line) .. after hitting a once .. type the "480i"  then hit "ESC" key to return to command mode .. then hit ":wq" ... with out quotes...
the : is used to tell vi you are going to type a command.  "w" means write out the file ... "q" means quit when your done.

Just so you know .. I don't have a PS3 yet .. so my help for now is limited to general Linux support :)

--Kirk

On 1/5/07, RedMarine <redma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

ok i had to do the text install. i'm using a normal tv. in "An
introduction to Linux on the PlayStation 3"

Kirk Smith

RedMarine

Jan 6, 2007, 9:43:27 PM1/6/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
ya it did i also used this http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/YDL_on_SDTV
and i was able to get it going but i have a small screen it's only 19'
and running in 480I it's small LOL and also the wifi dosn't work yet.
any guess if it works in Fedora Core 5

RedMarine

Jan 6, 2007, 9:44:12 PM1/6/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins

Kirk Smith

Jan 7, 2007, 2:00:53 AM1/7/07
to PS3Pe...@googlegroups.com
Rumor is it will .. But I haven't tried it yet.  (Don't have a PS3 yet :(  ).

Remember to use the PPC version of Fedora Core 5.  Also, doesn't the PS3 have a LAN port .. did you need to use wifi .. you could rlogin into the box from another linux / windows machine across a lan .. that might make it a little easier to mess with the settings.

RedMarine

Jan 7, 2007, 2:03:51 PM1/7/07
to Playstaion3 Penguins
yes it has a lan port i havn't tryed it yet. using wifi B/C i'm using
my friends DSL next door. B/C the phone company won't give us DSL we
are to far from the box. :( but thats a another story. this one is
going to be kinda off topic but if i have linksys router (with wifi B)
can i set it up to use his DSL modem to let my whole network on line?
my laptop is picking up his wifi also. if i wired my laptop in to my
network could i tell my network to use the laptop wifi to get them all
online.. then i'll wire in my PS3 and be set.

Kirk Smith

Jan 7, 2007, 5:40:06 PM1/7/07
to PS3Pe...@googlegroups.com
I believe so .. I think you would put the router into "bridging" mode
.. so that it knows to use the wifi port as the uplink (as apposed to
the WAN port as the uplink). You'll have to look at the user's manual
to be sure .. but I recall reading that in my brother's wifi router...

--Kirk