IC-705 Transverter Display/Control Project

Mike Lewis

Jun 19, 2024, 12:11:46 AM (11 days ago) Jun 19
to PNW VHF Society Email List
The IC-705 and many other rigs could use a simple display that allows choosing a transverter band, applies a programmed frequency offset to correctly display the chosen band frequency while tuning the radio to the right IF frequency.

I have a Teensy 4 based USB solution for the IC-905 USB port that extracts the CI-V bus frequency for the purpose of acting as a band decoder. It also passes it on (both USB A and USB B channels). It is an easy step to add a display then add band select capability likely via an encoder.

Here someone did WiFi attempt a solution using a M5Stack CPU which has 3 buttons, WiFi and a small display. I have one of these CPUs here, used it for my first microwave SWR/Power meter.

https://github.com/ok1cdj/IC705-BT-CIV

It could be worth trying out and building on if you have a IC-705. I do not have a IC-705 and my IC-905 has LAN and USB, no BT or WiFi so I cannot test this. For USB to work the CPU must support a USB Host port which the Teensy 4 (T4) has. I have another T4 that does WiFi, can get one with BT in place of WiFi.
I am looking to add 6M to the IC-905 by flipping a 50M to 1296 low power transverter (with 10M ref) around and add a preamp to the 50 (formerly the IF) side. See how it works. Will need band decode and a Xvtr select control to operate the relays and power level required.

The M5Stack would be nifty and probably work fine. You 705 owners might check it out. I can load it but that is about it.

Today I got my truck mounted IC-706mk2G setup with a DigiRig digital internace abnd solved the RFI issue I had with the 2M 200W amp enabled. SO now the truck is Ft8 ready anytimne, just plug in a CPU to the USB cable hanging there. I Have a Surface Pro3 I use and got a 12V power suypply for it so I am readu for digital Rover. The title up mast on the c amper has a 6M loop, a 2M loop is on the back corner. I am taking off to Southern OR coast May 26 back around July 2.

The Teensy USB host solution for the 905 should also work with the IC-706+DigiRig assuming a special driver for the Silicon Labs chipset is not required.

One question is what display to use. I have working character LCD, LCD graphics touchcreen, and small OLED displays. Buttons and/or encoder and/or touchscreen for control.

Mike

K7MDL CN87xs

Mihai Manolache

Jun 19, 2024, 3:33:39 PM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to k7...@hotmail.com, PNW VHF Society Email List
Thank you for sharing? I was looking for some samples on how to extract some information from the IC-705 to create a different project.
I will give it a try to your code and see how it works.

73,
Mihai

Sent from my Galaxy
--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.