New PNWVHFS 50 MHz Ionoscatter Record

Paul Kiesel

Jul 20, 2024, 1:46:53 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to PNWVHFS Google Group
Howdy,

During the ARRL June VHF Contest weekend, Ken, KL7P and I worked each other three times, with him operating as a rover. We worked with he being in grids CO19, CO29 and CP01. Our best DX contact, with Ken being in Yukon (VY1) was done using the mode Q65-30A.

This new record improves on the distance record (1139 km) held by W7IUV in contact with KR7O established in 2006.

Good luck in the contest this weekend.

73, Paul K7CW

James Morris

Jul 21, 2024, 1:41:42 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 21
to k7...@yahoo.com, PNWVHFS Google Group
Congrats! I had somehow not heard (or noticed) this form of propagation. Seems like it works from 800km-2000km and efficiency drops off at the 5th power of frequency?

What power & antennas were used?

James W7TXT

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

Ken K

Jul 21, 2024, 2:10:58 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 21
to PNWVHFS
I was using a 3-el yagi at about 18 ft. I was having coax issues at the time, so I was running anywhere between 100-400 watts, as I frantically swapped the PA in and out. Of course, Paul was doing all the heavy lifting. I was just east of the southern end of Kluane Lake on the Alcan Highway. 1,798 km by my estimation. I also worked VE7DAY and KL7HBK from there.

73,
Ken KL7P