Roving pattern

Kerry Webster

Sep 8, 2021, 8:17:29 PM9/8/21
to PNWVHFS
I'm getting too old for mountain-topping, so I thought I'd try roving in the contest this weekend.  But I don't want to duplicate the usual route up and down I-5.  I thought maybe east-west, or north-south down the ocean grids?  Any suggestions?  -- Kerry WB7AKE

Mike Lewis

Sep 10, 2021, 6:54:08 AM9/10/21
to kerryp...@gmail.com, PNWVHFS

East west leaves you in the mountains for a long while with poor RF coverage if you are not hitting mountain tops.  The rest stops along I-90  east of the pass are not bad.  Lion Rock north of Ellensburg is easy to drive up though.  Maybe the scenic viewpoints on I-82 south of Yakima.

Ocean grids are always  fun to me.  Los of blank spots but a more engaging drive with more rare® grids to cover.

  • Mike

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

ba...@k7bwh.com

Sep 10, 2021, 10:02:32 AM9/10/21
to PNWVHFS, k7...@hotmail.com, kerryp...@gmail.com

The east-west I-90 route CN87-CN97-and-beyond is a scenic drive from Seattle but has mountainous dead spots.

I bet you’d enjoy the drive east from Ocean Shores CN76 and CN77, Aberdeen CN86, Olympia CN87, and then around the grid corner past Carbonado toward Mt Rainier. All this is available in a standard sedan. See https://coilgun.info/rover-wa/home-map.htm for where the grid lines lie on the map.

Be aware that most of this route is away from the high-scoring metro centers. You’ll want to publicize this in advance for home stations, esp from Portland, to be looking for you. A real boost would be to bring APRS to help folks track your progress in real time.

Good luck and have fun!

Barry K7BWH

Mark Spencer

Sep 10, 2021, 1:52:18 PM9/10/21
to PNWVHFS
Kerry:

I recall working Darryl WW7D/R a number of times using legacy analog modes from my home station in CN89mg during his CN86,CN87,CN96, CN97 roves.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ