Off topic, perhaps - Airband AM VHF receiver

Rob Martin

May 14, 2024, 5:16:53 PMMay 14
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
As this is not strictly an amateur radio question, feel free to respond off list: K7...@arrl.net

I wish to acquire a reasonably-priced portable radio capable of receiving airband VHF AM between 118 and 137MHz.

Nothing very fancy needed. Perhaps 10 stored channels.

The Quansheng UV-K6 claims to be suitable. It has the WORST demodulated AM audio quality I have ever encountered. I tried it, and sent it back.

A couple of Baofeng models claim to work with airband, but I have read that they have similar audio issues as the Quansheng.

QUESTION: Can anyone suggest a radio worthy of consideration, something $50 or less? I want to buy a radio, something I can turn on and use. I do NOT want a "project", something where I have to load new firmware or otherwise tinker.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
K7QJ

cwfinge...@gmail.com

May 14, 2024, 5:54:14 PMMay 14
to PNWVHFS
Rob

Try CCrane Radio. They have a good return policy if the radio does not meet your specs.  (Also I believe CCrane is owned by a ham)

I have bought quite a few radios from CCrane and very happy with their performance. Although none that I have run on the AirBand but he does have a few that do. Worth a phone call too to query them about airband radios.

Bill N7EU

Brett Grant

May 14, 2024, 9:12:23 PMMay 14
to rgm...@yahoo.com, pnw...@googlegroups.com
What radios do you have?
My Icom 7100 will receive Air-Band, as well as my Kenwood Handheld.  I was a little disappointed when I learned the 9700 doesn’t receive out of band.  Seems pretty easy to do, but it is kind of specialized.  I just got a Yaesu FT-70, and it claims Air-Band reception.

I have only listened to airband with the 7100 and it sounds fine.  I don’t have the greatest antenna for it.

HTH,
Brett
KI7YFP

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

Joe Hamelin

May 15, 2024, 1:44:22 PMMay 15
to brettg...@gmail.com, rgm...@yahoo.com, pnw...@googlegroups.com
I've been using this for air band rx: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155076891840
JJCC JC-8629 10W Multi-frequency Walkie Talkie With GPS Bluetooth Two Way Radio
It's available for about $70 on ebay.  I've not found much wrong with it so far, for the price.
-Joe w7com

--
Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA  Portland, OR, 360-474-7474

Daniel Kingshott

May 15, 2024, 3:43:25 PMMay 15
to net...@gmail.com, brettg...@gmail.com, rgm...@yahoo.com, pnw...@googlegroups.com
I have a radio identical to this but it’s marked as an ABREE, I don’t want it, so happy to mail it.

dan