Band decoder/wattmeter build packaged

Mike Lewis

May 6, 2024, 1:17:30 AMMay 6
to PNW VHF Society Email List

The next project of the week is completed except for a rear panel ethernet chassis connector I will add later.  This is my 2nd RF  Wattmeter/Band Decoder build.

The first unit has been (and still is) controlling my 144-1296 station for the last 2 years handling all antenna switches, remote amp power control, PTT and transverter band select.   This 2nd unit that will control a separate setup on 2M with a KW amp, AC power, PTT, likely other stuff later on.   Like all my amps it is located outside the house.

I finally decided on its placement, inside on my desk or outside with the amp, which impacted my choice of fancy or ugly enclosure.

It can operate any combination of headless over ethernet or USB (or both), no display, a small OLED or a touchscreen display, or all of them.  The USB or ethernet is handy for easier configuring and calibration but is not required for operation.  The touchscreen can graph power and SWR, the desktop app does not do that yet.

Uses up to 6 wires on input plus ptt and serial for band decode.  All ports in and out are programmable patterns.  Uses optocouplers for better RFI tolerance.  Works up to 10GHz via external bi directional surplus couplers.  The red module mounted on the PCB is the dual port log power detector.  Also measures unit temp, 12VDC, ext high voltage like 28 or 50VDC, and a current sensor. This box is usually connected to a bank of relays for high power switching, the opto-couplers are 500ma max.   In my case band changes come from my K3 radios using 4 wire BCD patterns but could be the touchscreen or switch, or the desktop app or any combo.

The box is a Hammond 1402KV.  I use these for my homebuilt desktop form factor amplifiers and my headless rotator controller.  This one is sized to match the rotator controller (10” wide x 7” deep) so they can stack nicely.

-                      Mike K7MDL

20240505_210939.jpg
20240505_210343.jpg
20240505_210128.jpg
20240505_210054.jpg
20240429_211220.jpg

Mike Lewis

May 6, 2024, 1:19:07 AMMay 6
to PNW VHF Society Email List

Attached is a write up for inquiring minds.

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

Remote Wattmeter with Band Decoder.docx

Mike Lewis

May 8, 2024, 12:53:29 PMMay 8
to PNW VHF Society Email List

I made a significant feature update yesterday that many could find useful.  It now supports 20 predefined band, all bands between 160M and 3cm.  Given this power detector is useful to 10GHz, I initially focused it on 6M to 10GHz bands with buttons on the UI for 6M to 1296.  HF was anything not VHF 😊.  The radio with the 2M I am controlling (power and PTT) also does duty on HF and 6M.

I added a config page that lets you choose any band and make it active which enables you to configure it which in turn enables the serial or wired input to match up and change to that new band automatically.  There was a configuration chicken and the egg problem.  How do you change to a band with wired/serial input to configure it if it was unconfigured and never see a match to change.

  • Mike K7MDL