what I did on my summer vacation

21 views
Skip to first unread message

ba...@k7bwh.com

unread,
Sep 17, 2026, 4:28:25 PMSep 17
to PNWVHFS, edwa...@googlegroups.com

Welp, the summer VHF skip season looks to be done and flushed down the toilet for 2026. At least, it is here in the Pacific Northwest.

I’m spending more time inside catching up on chores and documents.

So, here’s something you might enjoy reading: my three big grid expeditions this summer.

  1. CN78 Olympic Peninsula, WA
  2. CN75 Lincoln City, OR
  3. CN71 Crescent City, CA

There are lots of pictures for your vicarious roving enjoyment. See if you can figure out which ones are AI-enhanced.

73 Barry K7BWH

 

VE7MHI John D Erskine

unread,
Sep 18, 2026, 3:46:53 PM (13 days ago) Sep 18
to PNWVHFS list
On 2026.09.17 13:28, ba...@k7bwh.com wrote:
> Welp, the summer VHF skip season looks to be done and flushed down the
> toilet for 2026. At least, it is here in the Pacific Northwest.
>
> I'm spending more time inside catching up on chores and documents.
>
> So, here's something you might enjoy reading: my three big grid
> expeditions this summer.
>
> * CN78 Olympic Peninsula, WA [1]
> * CN75 Lincoln City, OR [2]
> * CN71 Crescent City, CA [3]
>
> There are lots of pictures for your vicarious roving enjoyment. See if
> you can figure out which ones are AI-enhanced.
>
> 73 Barry K7BWH

Thank you for the reports. Great pics. AI? Hmm, missed that.

I've operated by Jordan River / River Jordan / diitiida,* in my SE
corner of CN78 for a fair number of ARRL VHF+ tests. However I'm near
sea level there which doesn't help. Sometimes folks will turn, point,
listen, occasionally tell others I'm there. Some will work me, agree to
another band and to my RX not show up. I've been encouraged to try a
particular resource road junction and will do so if I ever rove out
again. I've no mobile data there so need to learn the art of spotting by
other means.

(* " . . . the mouth of the river is known as diitiida (Drifted Ashore)
to the Pacheedaht (People of the Seafoam), and Ditidaht First Nations.
(A historical marker located in Jordan River in Capital Region, British
Columbia.)")

Curious what PV panels are in use. Looks like they'd put a Timex watch
to shame.

Will pay closer attention to any future trips you make. Would've fun to
try North/South along the coast.

Cheers, John
--
John D Erskine
VE7MHI VA7OTC
CN88hk NA-036
Victoria, B.C.

ba...@k7bwh.com

unread,
Sep 18, 2026, 4:33:43 PM (13 days ago) Sep 18
to va7...@vivaldi.net, PNWVHFS list

The clue for my AI-enhanced pictures are those images with someone besides me. Look closely and you’ll see Bigfoot entered a few frames, and the buxom beauty in a bathing suit is surely an AI addition (as I keep telling my wife). Oh yeah, look for a pirate ship sailing on the clouds in the valley near Crescent City, actually an almost convincing picture.

Wow, “Diitiida” is searchable and shown on Google Maps at 48.419997, -124.046980 or CN78xk40. Cool, I never expected First People names in their maps – by the way, the Google street view is quite colorful there.

My solar panels are two Renogy folding panels, so-called suitcase so-called lightweight solar. (https://www.renogy.com/products/400w-lightweight-portable-solar-suitcase ) They’re rated 400w each (which means you’ll get 300w on a good day). The choice of panels depends on your choice of batteries – in my case I have a 48v battery so I need 70+ volts and as much wattage as I can easily carry in my van. This ended up as two “suitcases” in series. Works great and sustains a high-power transmitter all day, but I wouldn’t call 30-pounds each “light weight”.

For internet in the boonies, I predict pretty much all rovers will carry StarLink pretty soon. It works extremely well out there.

Barry K7BWH
Seattle CN87us

--

~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~ You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

To post to this group, send email to PNW...@googlegroups.com To read message history, visit http://groups.google.com/group/PNWVHFS

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pnwvhfs+u...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pnwvhfs/c18021c0552d056b8e813b15ba51b836%40vivaldi.net.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages