VA7OTC/R June 'test

VE7MHI John D Erskine

Jun 7, 2024, 3:08:55 AMJun 7
to WCWSA, PNWVHFS list
Will be out making noise. Rover Limited/portable style. USB fone all
lower bands. Will have FM and will check it.
144 MHz - 9 el, 222 - 4 el, 432 - 19 el. 50 Mhz is sad. Rigs: FT-736,
FT-857D, IC-7300, DR-235.

Plan: Personal energy dependent. Requisite two grids or more. Inner,
contesting Type A, Rover, wishes five! That'd be a first. For me at any
rate. I haven't heard of anyone doing that on the Island, though I can
guess at who might've if it's been done.

Will be very satisfied with four _and_ submitting my log in time, unlike
last Sept.
Honestly I'll be happy simply in the fun of being on the air.
Some antenna repairs required by Saturday. blech

Likely route/pattern will be all max-flex. so something like:

Sat afternoon CN88, afternoon/early evening CN78
Sun CN88, CN89, CN79 (bonus CO70)

Re CN88: Sat. - Skirt Mt. (aka Bear Mt.)/Sun. - Malahat Pass lookout.
So one day, south of then the next day, north of the rocks.

73, John
--
John D Erskine
VE7MHI VA7OTC

John Adams

Jun 7, 2024, 1:09:33 PMJun 7
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
Gabor VE7DXG and I VE7DAY made a run through 6 grids on Vancouver Island
quite a few years ago.

We operated half a dozen or so bands.

73.

John.

ve7day.

VE7MHI John D Erskine

Jun 7, 2024, 7:14:40 PMJun 7
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
On 2024.06.07 10:09, John Adams wrote:
> Gabor VE7DXG and I VE7DAY made a run through 6 grids on Vancouver
> Island quite a few years ago.
>
> We operated half a dozen or so bands.
>
> 73.
>
> John.
>
> ve7day.

Sweet. I'll bet. Guessed Gabor would be involved.

73, John
VE7MHI VA7OTC
CN88hk

VE7MHI John D Erskine

Jun 9, 2024, 12:08:52 PMJun 9
to VE7MHI John D Erskine, WCWSA, PNWVHFS list
On 2024.06.07 00:08, John D Erskine VE7MHI VA7OTC via groups.io wrote:
> Will be out making noise. Rover Limited/portable style. USB fone all
> lower bands. Will have FM and will check it.
> 144 MHz - 9 el, 222 - 4 el, 432 - 19 el. 50 Mhz is sad. Rigs: FT-736,
> FT-857D, IC-7300, DR-235.
>
> Plan: Personal energy dependent. Requisite two grids or more. Inner,
> contesting Type A, Rover, wishes five! That'd be a first. For me at any
> rate. I haven't heard of anyone doing that on the Island, though I can
> guess at who might've if it's been done.
>
> Will be very satisfied with four _and_ submitting my log in time,
> unlike last Sept.
> Honestly I'll be happy simply in the fun of being on the air.
> Some antenna repairs required by Saturday. blech
>
> Likely route/pattern will be all max-flex. so something like:
>
> Sat afternoon CN88, afternoon/early evening CN78
> Sun CN88, CN89, CN79 (bonus CO70)
>
> Re CN88: Sat. - Skirt Mt. (aka Bear Mt.)/Sun. - Malahat Pass lookout.
> So one day, south of then the next day, north of the rocks.
>
> 73, John

Saturday was pretty full. Great ops in CN88, esp. a bazillion contacts
right at my 1300ish start on 2 FM. Wow. So many interested, and excited
folks. One white cane op in Chilliwack was crawling about for something,
also turning an antenna switch (with his toes I think he said) to work
me. Dug up his grid info and called me back. CN99, which I'd not even
worked in the past on USB from my aerie.

Out to CN78. Worked the lads at VA7FC/R CN78 while setting up, then we
met up at my spot for a chin wag.
Two CRD (Capital Reg. District) Park Rangers dropped by, my four antenna
stack dragging them in.
More fine chat.

Not many/any other fone contacts from there in spite of my announcement
and several acknowledgements with intent to look out for me. I succumbed
and ran some FT-8 on 50 MHz. First time in such a 'test. My purity test
is likely a fail now. <grin>

Off on the Sunday plan in a shake. Will assess the tired factor when
shifting from CN89 to CN79, about whether CO70 seems plausible. Will at
least tell those I contact on RF.

My success rate posting e-mail in the field has been low. If you work me
or hear my intent mentioned please let these lists know.

Those with my ph. number feel free to text.

Oh, my log pgm borked a bit at some point late CN88. If we worked and
today I ask what time that was, I'm trying to fill an actual time vs
using the nine entries all pretending to be at 2144z. sigh.
The entries are present, the time is fictitious.

If there are ethics issues with this, if some think it log washing, pse
advise _me_ and I'll put it down to keyboard error and move on in life.
Learn some new painful lesson each time out. Some of these have me
thinking, "Never agn" or "Why bother." Anyway, chin up!

Cheers es 73, John
VA7OTC/R today
--
John D Erskine