VE7AFZ and VE7REM contest plans

Mark Spencer

Sep 10, 2021, 2:27:09 PM9/10/21
to PNWVHFS
Hi.  This has been an interesting year for me with regards to contesting roving etc.    As some of you are aware I have encountered "issues" accessing my usual spring, summer and fall roving sites in CO80 and CN99 this year.   A series of family road trips this summer has also reduced my enthusiasm a bit for my usual "get up early, drive a while and be setup and on the air by 8:00 am" roving style.

At this point I am leaning towards both operating from my home station in CN89mg (probably using my VE7AFZ call on 144 Mhz and probably some higher bands as well) and making some form of roving or perhaps portable effort (most likely using my VE7REM call.)

I hope to activate at least one of CN99 or CO80.   Signal levels into the PNW and BC Lower Mainland won't be a strong as in prior years but I expect to be able to make enough contacts to make it worth the effort for me to head out.  Will most likely only operate on 50 Mhz from those locations with my typical 3 element and 300 watts setup (will probably make efforts on both SSB, FT8 and perhaps MSK144).  I am not sure about likely cellular and internet coverage for me in CO80 and or CN99.

Will run separate gear for both VE7AFZ and VE7REM (using 144 Mhz and up from VE7AFZ and 50 Mhz only from VE7REM simplifies this for me.)

Will sort out the log entry issues after the dust settles, I expect one log entry will end up being a check log.

If anyone wants details about possible sites and or possible timings please contact me off list.

Good luck all
Mark S
VE7AFZ and VE7REM