CQ WW Contests

Dave B.

Jul 16, 2024, 7:42:56 PM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
I am a bit confused right now about the CQ WW Contests.  As far as I
know, CQ magazine has gone under whom I presumed sponsor the Contests.

If Contests are still going, then who is sponsoring them?

    de Dave, N7DB CN85uj

--
David Bernhardt
Boring, OR

Dave B.

Jul 16, 2024, 10:02:47 PM (5 days ago) Jul 16
to Tree, pnw...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Tree for the update. I really look forward to late September for the CQ WW RTTY Contest, one of the biggest for that mode. Looks like I'll be on this weekend.

Thanks again.

    de Dave, N7DB

On 7/16/2024 5:19 PM, Tree wrote:
The demise of CQ Magazine has been on the horizon for at least 10 years.

99.9 percent of the work done to administer the various CQ contests is done by volunteers (I am one of them - I do the log checking for the CQ 160 contests).

An organization was created with the express purpose of assuring continuity in the administration of the contests when CQ Magazine failed.  That organization is here:

There are other aspects of contesting that the WWROF is involved in.  They get donations (similar to what DX fondations get) from those who want to assure the contest game continues to thrive.

Without the constraints that used to be imposed on the timing of results due to the publication of a magazine, we are now publishing final results much sooner after the contest ends.  For example, the results for the CW WPX contest held in the last weekend of May were published a week ago.

The CQ VHF contest has a new editor who runs the contest.  It is N2NC, who I have full confidence in.

Since the "sausage" is still being made by the same volunteers who made the sausage before the magazine went under, you should notice no changes - except that you won't see the results printed in a magazine.

CQWW.COM is the place to go for more details about all of the CQ contests.

Tree N6TR / K7RAT

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

Tree