1296mhz for 11-7-21

James Christiansen

Nov 8, 2021, 12:47:38 PM11/8/21
to PNWVHFS Google Group
Hello all,

Small turnout for first day back to standard time:

KE7SW
K7ND
W7YOZ
N7MWV  CN86

73 es gl

Jim K7ND

Mike Lewis

Nov 8, 2021, 12:59:52 PM11/8/21
to k7...@att.net, PNWVHFS Google Group

W7GLF and I were on also. Conditions were not good.    I think Ray worked or heard a few others.

Mike

K7MDL  EL87sm & CN88sf

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

John Price

Nov 8, 2021, 1:52:01 PM11/8/21
to k7...@hotmail.com, k7...@att.net, PNWVHFS Google Group

I agree with Mike. Conditions weren’t good. I thought I heard Jim K7ND at the beginning of the net, and then Tom KE7SW down in the noise. My only real Q was with Merle W7YOZ.

John

N7MWV CN86lt

HG1DUL

Nov 9, 2021, 9:10:57 PM11/9/21
to PNWVHFS
This is a little sample what I have heard in Seattle CN87to. It was actually much better than I expected to pic up in the highrise jungle.

K7ND was the strongest.
Heard Ray chatting with Mike, but my balcony is open towards south so not heard MDL.

Apart having some sort of spread spectrum transmission like frequency hopping or sweep going on, band was quite for me. Makes me wonder now if I had PreAmp on :)

Called only once, right after this recording. Had 7W @ antenna, which is a 22 ele small beam. Mostly pointed towards a firewall for reflection, but played around a bit if I could pick up better signals.

af7gl - Peter

Ray W7GLF

Nov 9, 2021, 9:54:25 PM11/9/21
to PNWVHFS
Peter I was pointed 180 degrees away from you.  I tried to point at you for a little bit but you may have missed that.  I am impressed at how well you were hearing people.  I normally cannot hear W7YOZ.  I do not have a path to Rainier so I normally am pointed due East at Snoqualmie pass or Northeast at Pilchuck.  If you have a path I do have a good view due west at Mt. Crag in the Olympics.  We should try the direct path or off the Olympics some time.

KB7IOG

Nov 10, 2021, 11:42:24 AM11/10/21
to PNWVHFS

I agree with Ray, The Olympics are under used. I use them for 40° of my 2304 contacts. I would guess 1296 would be just as successful.

Garrett
KB7IOG CN87re

K7YO

Nov 11, 2021, 11:18:07 AM11/11/21
to PNWVHFS
I can see the top of Mt Rainier from my rooftop in CN85ns, else I would have no chance working anyone in CN87 from here.  With 10 watts and 55 looper yagi I can work several CN87 stations consistently Q5 SSB off Mt Rainier,.  I was able to consistently work Susan, WB7BST up in Woodenville, way north of Mt Rainier, over the last 15 years.  Mt Rainier, at 14,400 ft ASL is the 2nd tallest mountain in the contiguous states and a good passive reflector/refractor for me, 432 and 222 included.
K7YO Jim

HG1DUL

Nov 11, 2021, 8:33:26 PM11/11/21
to PNWVHFS
I am being very busy, but sure we can try sometime Ray. I do not really have any openings towards the Olympics, but if WX gets better I may try to get into Discovery park and see what can be achieved from there. From my balcony probably my best chance is some reflection from higher buildings. Do not have any good way to position the beam though. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday, we can coordinate on 144 .

Jim, what you wrote sounds very promising. I am trying to get something for contests and when portable I am limited to 10 W. So maybe 22 element will be OK. Never used this band before. Also in a process to add 222 MHz.
By the way Mt. Rainier is 5th in rank of highest mountains in the 48 states. There are higher peaks in CO. It is 2nd in the west coast states CA,OR,WA though.

Ray W7GLF

Nov 12, 2021, 3:03:17 AM11/12/21
to PNWVHFS
We could try tomorrow sometime.  I might be able to bounce off a building in Seattle.  Let me know what time you are available and I will make a point to listen on 144.200.  The only time I am not available is from 8:30 until 9:00 AM.  I am planning to be at Microwave get together on Sunday and so will not be available for 1296 on Sunday until 2 PM or later.