Comprehension of parameters in "Derive parameters" section

Francesca Mastrosimone

Jul 12, 2024, 10:55:47 AMJul 12
to PIVlab
Good Afternoon,
Thank you always for this amazing software.
I don't understand what is the mathematica and physical meaning of subtraction of flow, in terms of:
-u (m/s);
-v(m/s);
And if the "autoscale max (m/s)" is applied in the visualization of PIV or not.

I will give an example to better understand:
This first image (Screenshot) is whitout any of them.
The second one is only with max_autoscale.
The third one is only with subtraction of u and v.

Can I ask you some formulas of this processes singularly to better understand them?

Thank you a lot.
Screenshot 2024-07-12 164943.png
max_autoscale.png
subtractionflow.png

David Alejandro Encalada López

Jul 12, 2024, 11:30:56 AMJul 12
to PIVlab
Hey there,
 This is what I think:
Autoscaling: This is simply a visualization tool. Think of it like adjusting the scale on a graph. It doesn't alter the underlying flow data itself, just makes it easier to see patterns and variations.
Subtracting u and v (flow components): This is a correction step. It accounts for any extraneous motion that might have been captured (like if your camera setup wasn't perfectly stable). The important thing to note is that this correction applies globally to the entire flow field, so while it adjusts the overall flow values, it won't impact strain calculations, as those are derived from relative displacements within the field.