displacement measurement of sand particles, orange vector filters

Zain Bin Mazhar

Jul 24, 2024, 6:03:03 AM (5 days ago) Jul 24
to PIVlab

Hi,

I am analyzing a caisson foundation in a sandbox. During the experiment, I apply a load from one side, causing the foundation and sand to displace to the other side. My goal is to obtain displacement contours using PIVlab.

The attached photo displaces the sand particles towards the bottom while the load is applied from the other side.

  1. How can I achieve better results using PIVlab for analyzing sand displacement through velocity filtration, especially when I am unsure about the velocity of the sand particles? I only have two photos: one before the experiment with zero displacement and one after the experiment.
  2. How can I remove the orange vectors from the analysis?

    thanks in advance
piv lab.png

Zain Bin Mazhar

Jul 24, 2024, 6:37:49 AM (5 days ago) Jul 24
to PIVlab
Furthermore, what if I want to select the surrounding part of the dense one while using a velocity filter.? how to I do that?

Zain Bin Mazhar

Jul 24, 2024, 6:42:43 AM (5 days ago) Jul 24
to PIVlab
This is what i got after manually rejecting vectors in a ROI with a huge amount of orange vectors
after manual rejecting.png

William

Jul 25, 2024, 3:29:33 AM (4 days ago) Jul 25
to PIVlab
Hello, I would recommend to align your camera perpendicular with the sand surface, otherwise calibration will be hard to do. Then you could also zoom in more so that you actually use the camera resolution a bit better. The lens distortion is also huge in your camera.
If you do not want to have interpolated data, then you need to turn interpolation off in the validaton menu.

Displacements of the sand should be below 25% of your interrogation area size. Maybe you need to record more images (a video or time series) if your displacement ist higher.