THIS is TRUE #813: 10 January

This is True

Jan 15, 2010, 11:00:00 PM1/15/10
to peta...@gmail.com
SINCE 1994 and reaching more than 106,000 subscribers in over 200
countries, this is the 813th weekly issue of...

THIS is TRUE: 10 January 2009 Copyright http://www.thisistrue.com
NO CLOUT FOR TED KLAUDT: Ted Klaudt, a former member of the South Dakota
House of Representatives best known for sponsoring legislation that's
tough on sex offenders, is in prison after being sentenced to 44 years
for raping his own foster daughters, plus 10 years for witness
tampering. From prison, Ted Klaudt sent a "Common Law Copyright Notice"
to area newspapers and the Associated Press, which he claims protects
his name, Ted Klaudt, from being used in news stories, and the media
cannot run stories using his name, Ted Klaudt, without his permission.
Unauthorized use of the name Ted Klaudt, he says, will subject the news
outlet to a $500,000 penalty. Unfortunately for Ted Klaudt, names
cannot be copyrighted. (Sioux Falls Argus Leader) ...Isn't that just
so, so sad for Ted Klaudt?

SUCKER: The outcome was predictable: while a 17-year-old in Longview,
Wash., was siphoning gas from a car, he lit a cigarette. The resulting
flash fire interrupted the theft and left the unnamed teen with burns
over 30 percent of his body. Fire department Lt. Jason Sanders summed
it up this way: "The fumes from the gas and the cigarette decided to
catch fire." (Longview Daily News) ...Not much of a decision, really:
they're just naturally attracted to each other.

----------==========**********O**********==========----------

Mortgage Roxx will help you learn the basics about mortgages
so you can comfortably proceed with your real estate purchase
and feel educated about your options.

http://www.MortgageRoxx.com

----------==========**********O**********==========----------

TIME'S UP: Police in Jersey City, N.J., were summoned to a woman's house,
where the unnamed woman told officers her son had a stolen parking
meter in his bedroom closet. She allowed officers to look, and they
found it. Thomas Gaughran, 36, was charged with receiving stolen
property. (Jersey Journal) ...It could be worse: in most of these cases
the meter is at the head of the bed.

JUST DESSERTS: Alexander Dwight Rodrigue, 23, was arrested in Regina,
Sask., Canada, for allegedly hanging around in the bakery section of a
supermarket and "opening cake boxes, touching them and then licking the
cakes," alleged Crown Prosecutor James Fitz-Gerald. When the store
staff asked him what he was doing, Rodrigue "said he was checking for
freshness." (Regina Leader-Post) ...There's a date on the box, but I'm
guessing Rodrigue hasn't had a date in his life.

IN OTHER WORDS, HE'S NORMAL: "Man Opts for Jail over New Year with
Relatives" -- Reuters headline

DID YOU FIND an error? See http://www.thisistrue.com/errata.html

READER RAY IN HOUSTON alerted me this morning that there's an update to
the "Ed Freeman" propaganda e-mail: yet ANOTHER black man has been
substituted in, but with the same "SHAME!" on the media for ignoring
Freeman, who died "last Wednesday". The black man this time is Tiger
Woods. Ray comments that "As a Vietnam vet, I am deeply offended with
those with a political agenda using the life and story of a true hero
in a lie to try cast a cloud over "the American Media", or anyone, or
anything else." He goes on to comment, "Shame on the American Media?
No, shame on those who dishonor Ed Freeman by creating a lie in his
name in order to promote a political agenda. And shame on those who
pass along these lies as well." Correct: you can help these political
propagandists spread lies while disparaging an actual American hero
(and Medal of Honor recipient for that heroism), or you can THINK
before you forward their lies. My "Ed Freeman" editorial is at
http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-ed_freeman_and_political_manipulation

o o o

A LETTER FROM Jim, a doctor in New Jersey: "Regarding the story about
Mark Weinberger, the plastic surgeon who absconded to Italy and tried
to cut his throat when he was arrested: your tagline made fun of the
fact that he is (or was) a surgeon and couldn't find his own carotid/
jugular. I'll do you one better: I looked him up at the American Board
of Medical Specialties and found out that he is indeed a board-
certified surgeon, and guess what his surgical subspecialty is?
Otolaryngology, more commonly called ear, nose, and throat!! Makes the
fact that he missed the vital blood vessels in his neck all the more
amusing, don't you think? ;)" Definitely!

THE OTHER HALF+ of this week's issue included the story of the guy who
REALLY shouldn't have called to arrange to pay a ransom for his
"stolen" pot plants. The story of the (busted!) serial hair thief. The
escapee who literally went shopping for something to cut off the
handcuffs that he was wearing. The robber who used a rock for a weapon.
The robber who used a garden hose nozzle as a weapon. And the robber
who literally shot himself in the foot (with a shotgun! Ouch!) Quit
missing half the stories! Upgrades start at just ten bucks:
http://www.thisistrue.com/upgrade.html

JUST A FEW LEFT: The This is True "headline" mugs, that is. One is now
out of stock, but I still have about 30 each of the other three. It's a
limited edition series: all the headlines shown are from the first year
of TRUE. Once they're gone, there won't be anymore with those headlines
-- I'll make another set of the four "best" headlines from the second
year of TRUE. And because I'm down to the last few, I've put them on
sale ($2 off). Again, when these are gone, there won't be more of this
series. Visit https://secure.thisistrue.com/truemugs to see what's
still available.

AMONG THE LATEST postings to Jumbo Joke: 3 Questions for a Redneck
Engineer (which pertain to a couple of amazing photos, included).
http://www.JumboJoke.com

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
ACK! I FORGOT MY PASSWORD!

A compendium of password recovery tutorials, tools and tips for
some of today's most popular password protected systems. Get your
password or your system access back, and learn how to keep it
safe and secure so you'll never have to foget your password again.
http://iforgotmypassword.net
----------==========**********O**********==========----------

COMING UP ON GROXX today: "Man Flees Courtroom, Bounces Off Window in
Escape Attempt". Submit stories and vote on what submissions are best,
register for free at http://Groxx.com

TEN YEARS AGO IN TRUE: Mayday call from boating accident turns out to be
from a drunk man in his bathtub. http://www.thisistrue.com/6979
And don't forget http://i.thisistrue.com for a new story every day on
your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, or other web-enabled phone!

BONZER WEB SITE OF THE WEEK: http://www.shorpy.com -- Shorpy: "History in
HD". A vintage photography blog featuring thousands of high-definition
images from the 1850s to 1950s (and maybe a few before and after that),
including some spectacular Kodachrome color shots. Most of the photos
come from high-resolution scans made by the Library of Congress, which
are then restored and displayed on Shorpy with captions describing what
you're viewing. And you can indeed view them in their high-resolution
glory (and if you wish, purchase prints). You can go discover for
yourself why it's called Shorpy.
-- Bonzer Sites archive: http://www.BonzerSites.com

THIS WEEK'S HONORARY UNSUBSCRIBE goes to Miep Gies. You've likely never
heard of her, but you've certainly heard about the profound story she
saved from destruction, and probably read it. For the answer to the
mystery see http://www.HonoraryUnsubscribe.com/miep_gies.html
NOTE: The full Honorary Unsubscribe is included in the Premium edition --
you don't have to click to a web site to read it. Support the
publication that brings it to you! http://thisistrue.com/upgrade.html

YOU CAN REALLY HELP TRUE: Send this issue (in its entirety, please) to a
friend with your personal recommendation. A friend told YOU about this
newsletter, right? Pass the favor on! Thanks.

TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHERE TO GO? "Get Out of Hell Free" with our popular
and (in?)famous cards, created in response to a reader telling Randy he
was doomed. http://www.GOOHF.com

Published weekly by ThisIsTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway CO 81432 USA
(ISSN 1521-1932). TRUE is available to newspapers as a regular feature
column. "This is True" is a registered trademark of ThisIsTrue.Inc

COPYRIGHT 2010 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. All stories are
completely rewritten by Randy Cassingham using facts from the noted
sources. ALL broadcast, publication, retransmission to e-mail lists,
WWW or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED without PRIOR written permission from the author.
MANUAL FORWARDING by e-mail to friends is allowed IF 1) the text is
forwarded IN ITS ENTIRETY, from the "Since 1994" line on top through
the end of this paragraph and 2) NO FEE is charged. We REQUEST that you
forward no more than three copies to any one person -- after that, they
should get their own FREE subscription. We ALWAYS appreciate people who
report violations of our copyright to us.

TO COMMENT to the author, mailto:ar...@thisistrue.com -- Please include
your first name and location.
This copy sent to: [peta...@gmail.com]
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT reply to this message! Simply click this URL:
http://wood.lyris.net/u?id=2639436.24544e78a46cf96f20e7c82621fac850&n=T&l=this-is-true&o=14084770