THIS is TRUE #818: 14 February

1 view

This is True

Feb 19, 2010, 11:00:00 PM2/19/10
to peta...@gmail.com
HAVING TROUBLE subscribing to TRUE's new free feed? For help, see
http://www.thisistrue.com/trouble.html

YOU ARE ON TRUE's OLD FEED! This old list will be going away soon. To
continue getting TRUE's free edition, please go to TRUE's web site and
subscribe to the NEW feed, which has MUCH less problem getting
delivered (if you've been missing issues, that's why). It only takes a
moment: go to TRUE's web site -- http://www.thisistrue.com -- and
subscribe again to be on the more reliable feed.

If you're getting TWO copies for any reason, you're on both the old and
the new lists, so THIS ONE is the one to delete. Use the unsubscribe
link at the bottom.

HAVING TROUBLE subscribing to TRUE's new free feed? For help, see
http://www.thisistrue.com/trouble.html

o o o

SINCE 1994 and reaching more than 106,000 subscribers in over 200
countries, this is the 818th weekly issue of...

THIS is TRUE: 14 February 2010 Copyright http://www.thisistrue.com
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KID WHO NEVER GOT VALENTINES AT SCHOOL: Parents of
students attending Ashcombe Primary School in Weston-super-Mare,
Somerset, England, were told their children could not bring each other
cards for Valentine's Day. "Any cards found in school will be
confiscated," head teacher Peter Turner advised, in writing, because
primary school children are too young for such romantic ideas, he
explained. "Banning them stops children from having social skills,"
complained one parent. "How are they going to learn about relationships
otherwise?" (London Times) ...They won't, but Mr. Turner made it all
the way to head teacher without having any social skills.

GOOD OLD BOYS: A student at St Laurence's College in South Brisbane,
Qld., Australia, "has been dealt with" after creating a Facebook group
that urged members to kill prostitutes. The student at the Catholic
school for boys in grades 5 through 12 wasn't making a theological
statement about the sins of the flesh. Rather, the exact name of the
group was "Killing Your Hooker So You Don't Have to Pay Her".
Prostitution is legal in Australia. Facebook deleted the group after
protests from Aussie sex workers; by then it had already gained nearly
18,000 members. (Australian AP) ...The Dead Poet's Society -- the Next
Generation.

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
PUT A LITTLE ADVENTURE IN YOUR LIFE
Rusty Waters decided to always seek adventure in life, and his
stories of what happened are fun, often unexpected, and true.

There are many stories now posted, and you can
subscribe free to get notification of new stories.
http://www.AdventuresOfRustyWaters.com
----------==========**********O**********==========----------

IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE? Police in Queensland, Australia, have been
rocked with a number of scandals, from allegations of accepting bribes,
dealing drugs, and more. In the latest escapade, officers in Coomera
are accused of staging a fake robbery at a local store -- while on
duty. The robbery was allegedly meant as a prank, since they knew the
store was being staked out by undercover detectives. The prankster
officers ended up at gunpoint before the detectives realized the
"joke". Police commanders were satisfied that the Ethical Standards
Command could handle the case, and that it didn't rise to the level of
a crime, which would be handled by the police Crime and Misconduct
Commission. (Brisbane Courier-Mail) ...They're lucky it didn't have to
be handled by the Coroner's Office.

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS: The government of Chile has decided not to
recall a 50-peso (US$0.10) coin with an embarrassing error stamped in
it: it identifies the country as "CHIIE". The general manager of the
Chilean mint, and several of his employees, have been fired over the
blunder. The lack of a recall is probably because coins were in
circulation for more than a year before anyone noticed. (BBC) ...That,
and the government has found a lot of collectors willing to pay 10,000
times their value on eBay.

GET HER OUT OF THERE BEFORE SHE HAS MORE! "Drunk South African had 49
Children in 16-Seat Taxi" -- Reuters headline

DID YOU FIND an error? See http://www.thisistrue.com/errata.html

DR. MARC in Illinois writes: "Just when I think that This is True could
not get any better, you add a new feature like the Mug Shot Museum that
makes it BETTER and more necessary to read! You continue to make it
imperative that I continue my Premium subscription as long as I remain
on the right side of the sod. You make my life a bit more enjoyable
than it used to be before TRUE."

Glad you like it, Doc! I think the funniest mug shot this week is a tie
between "Blue Christmas" and "Hard-Headed Gamer"; the funniest *story*
is "Judge Not, Lest Ye be Judged" (fathers of teen daughters will like
it). You'll find those and more at http://www.MugShotMuseum.com

AMONG THE LATEST postings to Jumbo Joke: It's Still a Bad Economy. If you
didn't catch Understanding Derivatives (which makes institutions "too
big to fail") on Monday, it's also good. http://www.JumboJoke.com

THERE WERE *TEN* STORIES in the Premium edition this week. They include:
Farmer makes giant Valentine's heart for wife -- out of manure. Train
parks across a woman's only access to the street from her home, and the
railroad won't move it. Friend confesses feelings of suicide, so guy
tries to scare them into wanting to live. Theft suspect runs into
building -- the police station. Politician says HE didn't take free
trip from companies, but rather it was his cross-dressing alter ego.
Woman really, REALLY should have been suspicious of the "preacher" she
met on a dating site. AND the February Tagline Challenge results. Whew!
But you know, you don't have to miss all those stories (and the many
stories every week!) Just ask for your upgrade to start with the 14
February issue: http://thisistrue.com/upgrade.html

o o o

DAVID IN CALIFORNIA writes about Yet More ZT stories in TRUE: "After
being a [too] long time free subscriber, I took the plunge and upped
for 2 years of the premium edition. This is my first Premium and I love
it. Your work is entertaining and for a fiscal conservative/social
moderate like me, a little common sense goes a long way and I share
your pet peeve around zero tolerance (I have two boys in elementary
school in CA and it is idiotic...including 1st graders having to sign
standards of conduct that includes prohibitions about touching (it's
sexual? Give me a freakin' break!)). Have you ever met a 6-7 year old
that could keep their hands to themselves?? But I digress...just wanted
to let you know I love the column! I retain hopes that good judgment
and common sense will re-emerge in our society...though the light is
dim."

That's for sure. I'm doing my best to shine the bright light of reason
on the stupid policies that are destroying our kids. And even when a
school has a GREAT policy, there are still school officials that *grew
up* (or were trained) in ZT policies and think that's the way to go.
http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-patrick_timoneys_gun.html is a perfect
example of that. If you didn't go read that blog entry last week, it's
important that you spend 15 minutes on it to see what some of the
people we pay our hard-earned tax dollars to help our kids grow up are
actually doing.

It's Premium upgrades that keep this newsletter going, so thanks to
David and Doc Marc and so many others who allow me to shine that light.
If you want to help AND get more stories (and no ads or upgrade
pitches!), please do upgrade to show your support for common sense in
schools (and life!): http://www.thisistrue.com/upgrade.html

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
LOSING SLEEP TRYING TO DECIDE ON A NEW BED?

Memory foam or latex mattresses/toppers, airbeds or waterbeds,
innerspring coil or futon mattresses, all without sales hype:
NOT affiliated with any store or manufacturer. Just personal
experience and research so you can get a non-biased
perspective on your options. http://www.TheMattressLady.com
----------==========**********O**********==========----------

TEN YEARS AGO IN TRUE: Queen's bodyguard steals a pair of her panties
during fire at Windsor Castle. http://thisistrue.com/7034
And don't forget http://i.thisistrue.com for a new story every day on
your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, or other web-enabled phone!

BONZER WEB SITE OF THE WEEK: http://www.FoundMagazine.com -- Found
Magazine. Found features stuff that's, well, found: love letters,
birthday cards, kids' homework, to-do lists, ticket stubs, poetry on
napkins, doodles -- "anything that gives a glimpse into someone else's
life. Anything goes." The first find (which inspired the site and their
occasional print magazine) is an "amazing mixture of anger and
hopefulness": Amber is pretty upset with Mario, since she found his car
"HERE at HER place"! The hopefulness? After she expresses her "hate"
she adds, "Page me later." Sweet and mysterious.
-- Bonzer Sites archive: http://www.BonzerSites.com

THIS WEEK'S HONORARY UNSUBSCRIBE goes to Walter Morrison, who invented
one of the great toys of all time (that YOU have played with!) For the
full story see http://www.HonoraryUnsubscribe.com/walter_morrison.html
NOTE: The full Honorary Unsubscribe is included in the Premium edition --
you don't have to click to a web site to read it. Support the
publication that brings it to you! http://thisistrue.com/upgrade.html

YOU CAN REALLY HELP TRUE: Send this issue (in its entirety, please) to a
friend with your personal recommendation. A friend told YOU about this
newsletter, right? Pass the favor on! Thanks.

TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHERE TO GO? "Get Out of Hell Free" with our popular
and (in?)famous cards, created in response to a reader telling Randy he
was doomed. http://www.GOOHF.com

Published weekly by ThisIsTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway CO 81432 USA
(ISSN 1521-1932). TRUE is available to newspapers as a regular feature
column. "This is True" is a registered trademark of ThisIsTrue.Inc

COPYRIGHT 2010 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. All stories are
completely rewritten by Randy Cassingham using facts from the noted
sources. ALL broadcast, publication, retransmission to e-mail lists,
WWW or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED without PRIOR written permission from the author.
MANUAL FORWARDING by e-mail to friends is allowed IF 1) the text is
forwarded IN ITS ENTIRETY, from the "Since 1994" line on top through
the end of this paragraph and 2) NO FEE is charged. We REQUEST that you
forward no more than three copies to any one person -- after that, they
should get their own FREE subscription. We ALWAYS appreciate people who
report violations of our copyright to us.

TO COMMENT to the author, mailto:ar...@thisistrue.com -- Please include
your first name and location.
This copy sent to: [peta...@gmail.com]
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT reply to this message! Simply click this URL:
http://wood.lyris.net/u?id=2639436.24544e78a46cf96f20e7c82621fac850&n=T&l=this-is-true&o=14125622