prTTFont missing or corrupted characters

kimmy

Aug 3, 2010, 1:08:45 AM8/3/10
to PDF-Reuse
I've been successfully (until now) using pfTTFont to include fonts
outside the standard set such as Arial and Impact.

I'm working on Debian Lenny and have installed the msttcorefonts
package to give me the Arial family of fonts.

However, when I use Arial-Black in my PDF::Reuse generated documents,
any ')' characters that are in Arial-Black are not showing when the
PDF is viewed in Acrobat Reader. This is the same for the latest
version of Acrobat on both linux and windows. On older versions
(version 4), the ')' character is showing in the wrong location.

Interestingly, when viewed in Gnome's Document Viewer, the character
displays fine.

I'm assuming Acrobat Reader does not have a problem with this font and
that the font itself is fine. So that leaves only the code that
produced the text. Has anyone else seen this problem? Can others
replicate it? Ideas?

Grant McLean

Jul 21, 2011, 6:41:20 PM7/21/11
to pdf-...@googlegroups.com, Chris Forbes

Almost exactly one year later ...

For the record, this turned out to be caused by a bug in the Font::TTF
module. Unfortunately the Font-TTF distribution doesn't seem to include
any meaningful changelog, but the problem was present in version 0.45
and is fixed in version 0.48.

Thanks to Chris Forbes for looking into the problem and determining that
the latest modules from CPAN resolved the issue.

Regards
Grant