strong signal wifi router

Joe Mezzanini

Aug 23, 2012, 6:45:01 PM8/23/12
to pctol
Can anyone suggest a router based upon personal experience that is more powerful than the normal home versions. I need it for an auto storage facility with some a couple block walls to penetrate.

Thanks,
Mezz

RBL

Aug 23, 2012, 7:05:56 PM8/23/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I see people using range extenders, repeaters, etc.
--
Sent via my awesome BlackBerry Bold over T-Mobile

From: Joe Mezzanini <joe.me...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:45:01 -0400
Subject: [PCTOL] strong signal wifi router

Can anyone suggest a router based upon personal experience that is more powerful than the normal home versions. I need it for an auto storage facility with some a couple block walls to penetrate.

Thanks,
Mezz

--
This is a message from the PC TALK Online BBS.
* The BBS is open to all.

Alan Schneider

Aug 23, 2012, 9:03:10 PM8/23/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
If it's a commercial facility you should really connect multiple wireless access points to a switch after doing a site survey.  You need to figure out where to place the access points and run cable from each access point to a port in the switch.    I don't think you'll find any wireless router that will do what you want it to do natively.  They're just not designed for that kind of job.  The problem with repeaters is that every time they connect they connect your speed in half.  If you use multiple repeaters there most likely won't be enough bandwidth to accomplish anything.  Good luck.

Alan Schneider

Aug 23, 2012, 9:03:50 PM8/23/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I should have said they cut your speed in half.

Joe Mezzanini

Aug 23, 2012, 9:07:29 PM8/23/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys

--
Joe Mezzanini
Sent with Sparrow

froz...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2012, 10:01:52 AM8/24/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com, pctol
You might be able to use a mesh type repeater - like hotels use.Check out cyberguys.com. Apologies if this posts twice, I seem to be hitting the wrong keys on this laptop. They have more than enough options on their networking selection to get high speed 11n to anywhere including across lakes, through trees into remote cabins in the midst of no where like I live.

David Moskowitz

Sep 7, 2012, 12:37:43 PM9/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
A bit late, but...  hopefully still useful info...  :-)

The range extended provides a stronger radio signal to cover a wider area. What it does not do is change the number of connections tolerated before there is real and easily observable performance hit. *Any* wireless router speed rating is a theoretical maximum with an unencrypted signal. The speed is shared by all connections. So a G router with 54 Mbps bandwidth means that 5 connected and active users will see a max speed of 10+ mbps. If the signal is encrypted you can just about cut that in half. Many WiFi routers actually saturate at about 80% of their rated values (unencrypted) and that, too, is cut in half with strong encryption enabled.

Multiple access points share backbone bandwidth not router bandwidth resulting in potentially better perceived performance for the connected users/devices.

David