Google Nexus 7 tablet

Charlie Wisniewski

Aug 2, 2012, 6:53:24 AM8/2/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I was ready to order this new toy, but then I saw the deal breaker: no Micro SD slot.
Whaaat?
With a max storage capacity of 16 Gb, it will fill up fast. What were they thinking? Takes up too much space?
Think I'll wait for the Microsoft Surface tablet
-Charlie W

Alan Schneider

Aug 2, 2012, 7:22:52 AM8/2/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Two words:

Cloud Storage.
Apps need to be loaded directly on the device.  Music and photos can be stored in the cloud.
That said, I just purchased a 32Gb Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with a 32Gb SD card.  I like local storage too.

--
This is a message from the PC TALK Online BBS.
* The BBS is open to all.

RBL

Aug 2, 2012, 9:39:18 PM8/2/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Win8 phone I got for my daughter? Same deal. Dealbreaker for me. I want local storage.

--
"We've tended to forget that no computer will ever ask a new question." - Grace Hopper

Charlie Wisniewski

Aug 13, 2012, 5:50:54 PM8/13/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
My Google G2 phone is dying slowly, so I have a solution...a tablet/ phone. The Samsung Note, or the Note 2 which comes out in a couple months. 5.5"screen. Almost a tablet. Big enough. IF it fits in my pocket. Going to wait for the model 2. It does it all, and more than many tablets.

David Moskowitz

Aug 17, 2012, 1:12:53 AM8/17/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I've had my Google tablet for about a month and...

Love it! While I understand the "local storage" perspective (and insist on it for a phone), with several cloud options available (Dropbox, Sugar Sync, Google Drive, and Box), I've got more storage available than I'd have on a single microSD card -- all free. Use the cloud-servers as folders and...

Bottom line, Screen is CRYSTAL sharp! For me that trumped the lack of a microSD slot -- value eyes over storage. It's fast and responsive with battery life that is amazing! Recharge it every other day or every 3rd day unless I'm dealing with very heavy use, then I still easily make it through the day. Haven't had to deal with an intra-day charge yet! Currently with 3hrs of screen use, 15 hours of WiFi enabled and syncing, and more activity...  only used 29% of the battery -- that's 71% left!!!

Have 32 GB music stored in the cloud and I'd have to check the video -- which is where I keep it anyway with 8 to 10 GB cached locally (and the entire library (audio and video) backed up locally.

What I'd like to see is video out (and that might be coming).

Got the 16 GB version and thinking of getting another.

David

Alan Schneider

Oct 14, 2012, 3:03:46 PM10/14/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I've heard rumors that there will be a 32gb version coming out to replace the current 16gb version for the same price.  I have my 16gb and I'm happy with it but for anyone considering purchasing one I'd possibly consider waiting a few weeks.

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM, SiPeKi <simon....@kindlen.eu> wrote:
No need for local storage on the device. Everything is sync to Google Drive, and so synced with you PC so you can grab what you need. Also unlike Apple devices you can connect the device to your PC. Owned a Nexus 7 since its release. Great value for money, and great performance with screen and user experience. Get one.

RBL

Oct 16, 2012, 8:37:27 AM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Would be nice to see devices with upgradable memory. This embedded RAM stuff is b.s.