I can not access event viewer

mark

Sep 29, 2012, 8:38:28 AM9/29/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
My computer is a Dell desktop that came with win7HP installed. A few years ago, I did the anytime upgrade to win7 professional 64 bit. All has been well with it. My Kaspersky has been freezing the computer when it is updating. I've been emailing back and forth with their tech support. Along the way, I was tol to uninstall KIS2012 and download the latest version and install it. Well, I uninstalled it and can not instal it or KIS2013I've tried installing KIS using run as administrator, tried doing it in safe mode, and even turned on the super-duper top secret administrator account. .Kaspersky tech may think it has something to do with permissions. This seems to make sense because somewhere in the last three months, I lost the Delldock and when I try to install it, I get a message box saying something about not being able to access the start menu. I've been sending them screen shots of the start menu folder showing what is allowed. I go to event viewer and when I open it, I get a message box saying 'event log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running'. I go to services and it appears to me that it is set to automatic.

I made a repair disc this morning, but when I boot to CD, the cd player just clicks and nothing happens. I tried booting using a win7hp discI have and did a startup repair, but nothing has changed. I ran a program called take ownership on the program data folder but that didn't help either.

Mark

RBL

Oct 7, 2012, 1:55:50 PM10/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Try creating a new user. Make that user an admin. Then login under that user. Are you able to install the software and access other apps that way?

Rich

mark

Oct 7, 2012, 2:11:22 PM10/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I'll try that next. I have even enabled the secret administrator account and can not install either program.

This morning I made an iso disc of win7 and got hung up at the compatibilty page during installation. Something about removing magiciso virtual cd/dvd manager- which I did and updating the isb virtualization stub driver. I can not find that one in device manager at all. but did try to update whatever driver were listed with usb in their name. They all already had the latest drivers. I rebooted and got the same compatibilty message. Is the usb virtualization have something to do with windows virtual pc/xp mode? If you have skydive, here is the message  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=92C873A621C45324!145&authkey=!ANA7ePgdJrnoMl4

Lastly, do I really need to be able to access event viewer? But, I really want Kaspersky to install.

RBL

Oct 7, 2012, 2:25:51 PM10/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't chase the Event Viewer problem. It's emblematic of another problem. Sounds to me like your user profile has become corrupted. Fix that, and the other problems go away.

mark

Oct 7, 2012, 2:38:11 PM10/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Mark

mark

Oct 10, 2012, 10:42:59 PM10/10/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I created another administrator user account and profile. Copied the files over per Microsofts "fix a corrupted user profile" page and event viewer is the same and could not instal KIS2013.

RBL

Oct 13, 2012, 12:49:26 PM10/13/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Everything else seem to be working OK?

Why not give up on KIS and go with Microsoft's free Security Essentials?

RBL

Oct 13, 2012, 12:49:52 PM10/13/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
PS: Have you tried fully removing KIS, deleting it's folders and REG keys?

mark

Oct 13, 2012, 1:15:39 PM10/13/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

I used Kaspersky's removal tool to delete everything. I'm using security essentials now until I get this issue resolved, if it ever gets resolved. Is SE a good antivirus program? I do have an unopened norton internet security 2012. Is that ok to use instead?

RBL

Oct 13, 2012, 1:57:00 PM10/13/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
SE is very good. Use it every day on all my PCs. Of course, nothing replaces smart computing.

--
"We've tended to forget that no computer will ever ask a new question." - Grace Hopper

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM, mark <MG8...@aol.com> wrote:

I used Kaspersky's removal tool to delete everything. I'm using security essentials now until I get this issue resolved, if it ever gets resolved. Is SE a good antivirus program? I do have an unopened norton internet security 2012. Is that ok to use instead?

Rich M

Oct 14, 2012, 10:43:18 AM10/14/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
" SE is very good. Use it every day on all my PCs. Of course, nothing replaces smart computing."
Well that is a matter of opinion and maybe for state of the art top notch pc's with more ram than they need and i-7 processors SE is OK, but for the average pc, its a disgrace as software. It may be ok dealing with threats but it upgrades like a snail and many times does not, It drags down the average system worse than NIS ever did (but then you loved NIS too years ago).
Working on pc's every day as I do with horrific DSL connections and 1-2Gb DDR ram, be careful what you preach as I try every time there is a new version and wind up removing it from every single pc. Frankly I am amazed they integrated this into Windows 8, but then I can't find anyone planning to go there anyway so I guess it doesn't matter?

David Moskowitz

Oct 14, 2012, 4:03:51 PM10/14/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
You must be referring to something else called SE. MSE running on an old Dell (XP system with 3 GB RAM on a Pentium D), old HP with a single core Pentium (old Lenovo ThinkCentre 2 GB RAM, with XP).  Without any problems on either. You call either one of these "Top Notch?"  Didn't think so.

It's possible to control the amount of CPU usage (easy setting in MSE).

Compared to NIS Live Update, in identical XP and W7 VMs, MSE is actually faster -- that's two XP virtual machines and two W7 VMs (both 32-bit).

So, either you're talking about a different product, or we have VASTLY different experience with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Just to make a point:  Most people who have been here for a while know that I am NOT a fanboy for Microsoft. :-))

David

Rich M

Oct 15, 2012, 10:56:08 AM10/15/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Sorry David,
I work on approximately 5-6 pc's a week sometimes more and I am referring to Microsoft Security Essentials. Lately I have found it to be the very worst software Antivirus I have ever used and everyone on my forum would agree, No one I know uses it anymore because of the constant update issues and system drag especially on old pc's.

Joe Mezzanini

Oct 15, 2012, 11:21:00 AM10/15/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
How odd.
Our experience has been the opposite.

Maybe we are lucky !

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Rich M <pcma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry David,
I work on approximately 5-6 pc's a week sometimes more and I am referring to Microsoft Security Essentials. Lately I have found it to be the very worst software Antivirus I have ever used and everyone on my forum would agree, No one I know uses it anymore because of the constant update issues and system drag especially on old pc's.

 God Bless America
PhotoBlog:  joeMezz.com
Portal: theMezz.com

 "There's nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men.
  True nobility is being superior to your former self"
                             - Hemingway

David Moskowitz

Oct 15, 2012, 9:18:40 PM10/15/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Rich,

Since I'm still involved in testing anti-virus software, we're going to have to agree to disagree regarding your claim that MSE is the, "very worst."  That simply is not substantiated by facts of recent tests (August 2012).  In addition, MSE has earned the VB100 cert.  Not something anything close the bottom (let alone "worst") could possibly do.

In our tests MSE ranks in the top 10 in terms of speed, malware discovery, use of system resources (where less is better).

re; Old PCs NUTS!

The Dell I mentioned was new in 2004. The HP was new in 2005, the ThinkCentre is really an IBM, not a Lenovo and dates back to 2002.  Are any of these even remotely in the "current" category, let alone new?  MSE is the only readily available anti-virus program that runs on the old IBM without bring it to it's knees. On the Dell the only thing that comes close to minimal system disruption is Panda Cloud AV -- which is excellent at keeping things out, but not that good at scanning if something was there before it was installed.

As I said, we're going to have to agree to disagree. There is nothing in either empirical lab testing or personal experience that in any way even comes close to supporting your claim of "worst"  ZIP, ZERO, NADA!

David

Rich M

Oct 16, 2012, 8:14:57 AM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

David,
I have over 1,000 members, many of whom started on the  old BBS, on my forum, and we all agree that MSE is the worst software we have ever used so don't say "zip, "nada" etc....I don't think you all have the same experience because we have on our Mod staff alone 6 techs who work in the pc repair business every day of the week with mostly home users, far different than your testing and consult experience, and none of us will even consider using this anymore but please understand I am talking about Mse as software, and not talking about any ability it has to remove or repel virus or malware. We always review an Antivirus program first as to how it performs as software and then what ability it has to remove virus, since they all consult with each other and exchange actual definition information as you well know.

Windows 8 has taken the useless Windows component "Windows Defender", that we all immediately disable in Vista or Windows 7, because it finds nothing and has issues with updating itself constantly, and replaced it with Mse so that OS has its own so called Antivirus program, and we are just incredulous they would do this.
I am also a hardware Moderator an a much larger tech support forum and I do agree that many there also recommend MSE as you guys do, and that is the reason I keep trying it every so often but always wind up replacing it with Free Avira which just doesn't have the software issues and I find has more ability with malware itself anyway. There have been times and moments where the issues I refer to with Mse have seemed under control but sooner or later, I always wind up dumping it from most pc's except the very newest that have enough memory and procesor speed to overcome the issues. The other thing that first made me notice this is on Windows XP with Malwarebytes Pro onboard where almost every XP pc you have both on will freeze up after the first reboot and this is what has made me sensitive to the issues in the first place and I doubt you see XP pc's very often in what you do but there are still many home users out there with it. I will not allow any client not to have Mbam Pro these days either, it is just not worth the chance with such an old OS..

Rich M

Oct 16, 2012, 8:23:44 AM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Actually I almost forgot I am in a thread on that forum right now talking about Security Center reporting no Antivirus active with MSE current.
See here:

RBL

Oct 16, 2012, 8:34:37 AM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
ESET says Windows 8 is Microsoft's most secure version of Windows yet. SE is bundled with Windows 8.

Joe Mezzanini

Oct 16, 2012, 8:36:34 AM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I would think the newest version of Windows would *always* be the most secure version

That's been true since Win 3

David Moskowitz

Oct 16, 2012, 12:49:38 PM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
If you believe that the opinions of 1,000 people are a substitute for formal controlled empirical laboratory testing, then nothing I can say is going to change that. This isn't something new, I've been engaged in this activity for more than 10 years. What do you think we were testing? Omelet recopies? We test software! Part of the testing includes performance (and has from the beginning -- go back and check past history in this group and the BBS before that).

We've also had the conversation about the difference between fact and opinion. I'm not reporting opinion, I'm reporting facts based on real world controlled lap testing. You want to disagree, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is.

re: Windows Defender (WD -- an anti-spyware tool), was never intended to be an anti-virus program. In fact that doesn't happen until Windows 8 when MSE is rolled into WD to provide protection for both forms of malware.

The testing lap includes every version of Windows clients need us to support. This includes Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista (32- & 64-bit), Windows 7 (also both 32- & 64-), and will include Windows 8 after it's official release, though there has been testing since the first public beta). I don't know of plans to include Windows RT -- that will depend on what happens in the marketplace.

re: Malware bytes. That's a different discussion.  However, again, we may have to agree to disagree.

Bottom line: You don't like MSE. Fine. Accepted. However, "like" (or don't like) are not a substitute for thorough investigation in controlled lab conditions. Microsoft is one of the top 10 AV tools available, both for what it catches AND how it performs. Based on testing! You don't like the results, that's OK. That's why there are multiple products in the space. However, I reject the opinion, presented as fact, that MSE is the worst. That is simply is not substantiated by our extensive lab testing.

David

Oct 16, 2012, 5:20:43 PM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Not "secure" .. but "the most secure version yet"

A new version of Windows was never less secure than it's predecessor

David Moskowitz

Oct 16, 2012, 7:45:58 PM10/16/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
We can argue about whether or not Microsoft takes security seriously, today!  :-))

NT was the first operating system to use the ctrl-alt-del to initiate the logon sequence, but the overall security of the operating system, once it was up and running, was only minimal. the COM and DDE model was inherently insecure. Toss in ActiveX and...  again, not secure.

I've said this for years, and it's still true. The only way I'll believe Microsoft is really committed to security will occur when (and if) security becomes a starting point for architecture and design, not something added or bolted on to the system.

While MAC (mandatory access control -- the basis for SELinux) is more challenging for the user, it's MUCH more secure than DAC (discretionary access control) which is use in Windows.  If Microsoft was REALLY serious about security, then MAC would be an enterprise option.

David

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM, RBL <RBL...@rblevin.net> wrote:
ESET says Windows 8 is Microsoft's most secure version of Windows yet. SE is bundled with Windows 8.

...  rest clipped ...

Rich M

Oct 17, 2012, 9:34:20 AM10/17/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

I perhaps failed to include "IMHO" in my opinions and that actually is not like me but it is exactly that, an opinion and for that I apologize. However that said David, you also need to realize that a testing experience, no matter how controlled, at best only experiences what an individual or group sets up to test in an isolated environment and to then tout a program as the very best available, is an equal mistake because you need to consider who is reading all this. All of this on a public forum is stated in an attempt to help the average user with everyday issues so to state that average users experiences are irrelevant to your test environment conclusions I am afraid is quite ludicrous. So publish what you like for the pros, but if you state that average user opinions are irrelevant in determining effectiveness of the software suggested, than those opinions do not belong on a public forum I'm afraid, because they are for the average user, the pro can draw their own conclusions.
Let me say this again. I work for a living in this industry building and repairing computers and it is my only business at the moment. I cannot run MSE on a majority of pc's for the average user because there are too many software problems caused by it as software IMHO. I am talking about not a 2 week period where I exhaustingly tested MSE on a control group of computers, because what I experienced was not on a regular basis but rather isolated experiences that were frequent but not regular or predictable in terms of issues, but they were enough on my part and those I work with, to make me conclude this software is not "ready for prime time" IMHO and certainly should not be included as a part of any OS either.

David Moskowitz

Oct 17, 2012, 3:24:33 PM10/17/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Part of the testing includes real-world performance testing. This isn't new, I've said that multiple time before in these discussions. I said it when ESET was your fav, and nothing has changed. The testing includes work with the following:

Microsoft Office products (Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Word).
email (Opera, Outlook, Pegasus, and Thunderbird),
Web surfing (IE 6 through 9, Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, and Safari)

Recently (late 2010/early 2011) added is cloud drives from Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and SugarSync.

You want us to add something else, great, make a suggestion.

Opinion is NOT fact. Your statement that MSE is (among) the worst, is simply not substantiated by facts.

I didn't say that average user experience isn't important. I did say that opinion isn't fact. I did say that we do and did real world performance testing.  If you don't want to accept that we attempt to duplicate real-world conditions, that's your choice. The organizations that pay for the lab regularly review the performance testing to make sure it provides an accurate sample of their work environments. This has been the norm since the beginning. So...  your opinion about it is just that, your opinion.

Are there circumstances where any particular tool will be less than optimal for a given situation? Absolutely! Again, that's why there are multiple products in the space.

Is MSE the best or only tool? No. never said it was.  In fact, I initially panned MSE in this group.  However, the product and the results changed. It is a worthy contender! You don't want accept that. OK, change can be difficult. Doesn't change the facts. MSE is NOT "the," or even close to being, worst. It does not belong in that category. To claim otherwise, based on anecdotal or occasional experience, is  absolutely misleading when the opinion-based claim is stated as fact.

David

Oct 18, 2012, 9:33:45 PM10/18/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com, Rich M
It isn't the majority opinion of everyone I know. So, we both know people the other doesn't.

David

Rich M

Oct 19, 2012, 9:23:44 AM10/19/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Wow we agreed on something twice in 2 days....how about that!

mark

Oct 19, 2012, 4:53:16 PM10/19/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Anyways, back to my original question, how do I do a repair install of win7? MSE seems to work fine on the computer, but since I've already paid for 2 years of KIS, I'd like it to work. Something somewhere in my OS is not right. I can't get the iso win7 do do a repair. Event viewer is not workinh. I lost my search feature but got that fixed. I would find MS files but not anythin I created, Did the fix-it from microsoft.com and that cured that proble but I still can not install KIS.

Rich M

Oct 20, 2012, 9:38:43 AM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for my part in the lengthy tangent Mark.
Personally since we know malware was at least there, and therefor I believe there still are remnants, your best move would be to go to a forum that has professional malware personnel that can run complete tests to clean the system up and then come back for Windows Repair as the only Windows 7 repair has to be done from Windows and the odds are that won't work right either at this point. I will give you some suggestions below and understand these programs such as KIS, Malwarebytes etc are generalist programs whereas a Malware professional, licensed by ASAP or UNITE will find the specific infection and employ programs specifically designed to remove them, that's why they are put through such strenuous training. Of cousre the reuslts are free and you need to be patient for response time as well as most of these guys work more than one forum. Each forum has specific logs and tests they ask you to run and post before they respond to you seen in "sticky's" at the top of their Malware forums.

You have to join but they are both free before posting "new thread" or "start new post".

RBL

Oct 20, 2012, 11:17:49 AM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I think, at this point, it's a KIS problem and not a Windows problem. I understand you paid or KIS, but I wouldn't struggle to reinstall an AV program that is clearly broken from a vendor that can't seem to help you get it back installed.

mark

Oct 20, 2012, 1:52:09 PM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Rich-m, Thanks for the links. I registered at the kickenhardware site. I'll need a day or two to digest what is all there.

RBL, I've pretty much given up on KIS on this computer. But I still can not access event viewer. I still get the error message saying 'event log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running". This is why I think I have a windows problem.

RBL

Oct 21, 2012, 3:19:45 PM10/21/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Have you checked to see if the Event Viewer service is running?

Run Task Manager and see if the service is running. If not, well, then the error message is correct and informative.

If it's not running, run MSCONFIG (Start | Run | MSCONFIG), hit the Services tab, and make sure all services are enabled.

I would then go onto the admin console and make sure it is set to AUTO start on startup.

http://tinyurl.com/8ttwagp

Rich

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my awesome BlackBerry Bold 9900 using T-Mobile

Rich M

Oct 22, 2012, 6:49:31 AM10/22/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Actually the fact you cannot run "event viewer" is what convinces me it is not a Windows issue or KIS issue, it almost has to be Malware because that's the first thing I look at when your Windows functions cannot complete. But right or wrong doesn't really matter here, its eliminating issues that will help us arrive at the proper conclusion rather than "stabbing" at all possible sides of the problem.

RBL

Oct 22, 2012, 7:03:25 AM10/22/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Rich has a good point.