Message from Michael Doyle

Caroline Mosher

Jan 7, 2022, 3:25:40 PMJan 7
to Mountaineering Section of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, crim...@mailfence.com
Hi all,

Michael Doyle has asked me to pass along this message. Please reach out to him if you’re interested. I hope you are all enjoying the snow day.

“Should have sent this earlier in the week, given that the dump of snow
occurred on Monday, long enough for the roads to have been (hopefully)
cleared but thought I'd send a note out anyway. Have to grab this shot
at fun local alpinism, given these occurrences have been few and far
between in the past decade.

I am planning to head up to the Blue Ridge in the natl park for some
alpine fun tomorrow (Sat, 1/8) and would like to share the adventure
with another person (or three, for 2 rope teams). Since Skyline Drive is
closed (I just listened to the updated message on the park phone
service), this would entail a 3 mile hike up from the White Oak Canyon
TH up the Cedar Run Trail to Skyline and then on further a short
distance to some classic alpine terrain - snow, rock, frozen stuff,
should be some ice. The area faces north, at the highest elevations in
the park, with the temperatures in the teens-20's for tomorrow (and
wind) - typical alpine day....

I'm not planning on any highly technical stuff, bringing along just a
couple of alpine ice tools (NOT long-shafted mountaineering axes) and
crampons. If I can find a partner with this note, I'll bring along
harness, screws, runners, etc etc (we can chat about it).

Given the short amount of daylight available at this part of the season,
I plan the start the hike earlyish, between 6 and 6:30. Given that
people live along Weakley Hollow Rd above the White Oak Canyon Trailhead
parking, I would expect the road to be clear. Might need chains for the
last 20m of driving into the parking spot next to the road...

If interested, please do drop me a note, or call at 443-430-5163. I live
in Charlottesville so, unfortunately, can't carpool with folks coming
from the NoVa/DC area...

Cheers,
Michael Doyle”