Overlawyered.com Apr. 29-May 25

1 view

edi...@overlawyered.com

May 25, 2006, 3:10:44 PM5/25/06
to Overlawyered announcement list
http://www.overlawyered.com

New since the last update (highlights):

* Frequent filer of disabled-access lawsuits leaps from wheelchair to
escape cops (May 12)

* Lots about the indictment of premier class-action firm Milberg Weiss,
including my op-ed in the WSJ (May 20, 21, 22, 23)

* Lead plaintiff in nano-scratch suit says lawyers used his name
without asking (May 23)

* The most high-minded discussion of wet T-shirt litigation anywhere on
the web (May 1, 2)

* GWU's Banzhaf: let me show you how to sue my fellow faculty members
personally (May 3)

* "Shaking down the defendants for ubiquitous trivia": one judge on
Calif.'s Prop 65 (Apr. 29)

* Welcome guestblogger Don Boudreaux of George Mason and Cafe Hayek
(started today)

* New med-mal study refutes lawyer spin on origins of high rates (May
18)

* Kids play chicken on RR tracks: let's make Amtrak pay (May 9)

* $1.6 million for loss of dog? Maybe not (May 25)

* Legal-malpractice case stretches on for 18 years (May 17)

* "No one will be hurt if we get our diploma" -- so we'll sue for it
(May 15)

* Nanny Apple: NYC plans "interventions" with diabetic residents (May
5)

* Baseball club to hold "Frivolous Lawsuit Night" (May 23). Earlier:
Calif. lawyer sues stadium after Mother's Day promotion doesn't give
him a gift too (May 11)

* UK: they hijacked an airliner to get here, but sure, let 'em stay
(May 16). Also: "wanted" posters for some escaped cons might violate
privacy (May 19)

* Must a conservative Christian video-store owner duplicate customer's
gay rights videos? (May 2, May 6)

* Menace of ice cream vans (May 11)

* Profiled by flight attendant, wins $27 million after arrest (May 16)

* Heartbreak of small fonts: Wal-Mart sued because its "While Supplies
Last" disclaimer should have been set three points bigger (May 3)

* Plus: Duke lacrosse case; NYC sues gun dealers again; NSA phone
snooping; Sebastian Mallaby on Vioxx-suit madness; emotional-service
dogs; paternity fraud; Toyota sexual harassment; John Eddie Williams
throws a party for Walter Umphrey; doctor kills self after losing
malpractice suit; treating planes like boats; Netflix settlement; $14
million for NJ wrongful birth; rent-a-car coupon settlement; trial
lawyers in GOP primaries; Manhattan Institute press officer vacancy;
smiley-face trademark litigation; Wonder bread dough; banning smoking
in cars; Canada rejects party-server liquor liability; suing every M.D.
on the chart; and much, much more.

http://www.overlawyered.com