God is Not a Democrat or a Republican

1 view

nat...@gmail.com

May 21, 2005, 9:33:12 AM5/21/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
First things first: congratulations. This is a day to celebrate; a day
to relax and enjoy. This day is about YOUR graduation from college and
the culmination of four years (or more) of hard work. You deserve this.

We have produced these buttons and stickers with the support of the
Calvin administration and many different Calvin students with a variety
of political beliefs. We believe that our education and our faith trump
any and all political platforms and we wish to unite rather than
divide.

Our reason for making the buttons and stickers is to express a more
nuanced understanding of the Christian faith. Many of us have concerns
about the President's policies-whether it be the budget deficit,
the war in Iraq, the environment, or the treatment of prisoners. We are
concerned that many Americans perceive all Christians to be politically
conservative. Others seem convinced that rational, thinking Christians
must endorse all things on the left side of the political spectrum.
Both are wrong.

As such, we'd like to ask the following of you:

· Grab a button and wear it: make the statement that our graduation is
not a political platform.

· Give the President's speech a fair hearing.

· Be prepared to explain why "God is not a Republican or a
Democrat."

· Give a button to your friends.

With this decidedly apolitical statement we hope to change the nature
of the discussion of religion and politics in America. We think that
Calvin College is the right place to begin the dialogue.