commemorative T-shirts

tcm3...@gmail.com

May 13, 2005, 9:03:52 AM5/13/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I'm a '92 grad who decided that I should do more than protest Bush's
appearance. These T-shirts are available, and be assured I am NOT
making money on them. My sole purpose in creating them was to make a
way to protest while raising money for Iraqi civilians who have been
devastated by the war. ALL money beyond the cost of the Ts and shipping
is going to World Vision, a Christian organization helping impoverished
people around the world.

The T-shirt test reads: Calvin + W '05 = conservative arts education.

Please email me if you have questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8305331032&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

If this link does not work, just search ebay under "Calvin Bush."

All my best to you '05 grads who must endure, as you perfectly put it,
Bush using your graduation as his platform.

Cherilyn

msy...@mcw.edu

May 15, 2005, 9:28:40 PM5/15/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
FYI: Calvin College asked Bush to come; Bush did not ask Calvin.

Also, if any of your fellow protestors had an ounce of sense, they
would save spending their money on your juvenile protest vehicle and
just send the entire amount to World Vision. BTW, I thought the social
liberals at Calvin despised World Vision because it is simply an
organization that rips apart family and community in the way it
operates so that we in the US can feel better about ourselves. Who
knows, maybe they have changed their tune.

Don Jones

May 16, 2005, 7:20:06 AM5/16/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure some of the protestors have an ounce of sense.

Please work to post things are have some connection to reality.

Does anyone know someone who is graduating so I can get a ticket to the
commencement?

de...@calvin.edu

May 16, 2005, 9:03:15 AM5/16/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Cherilyn,

Did you get Calvin's permission to use the Calvin nameplate. If not,
using it without asking is bad form. And violates the college's
copyright. And I'm speaking both as a Calvin employee and a World
Vision supporter. :-)

Phil de Haan
media relations
Calvin

Steve Bakker

May 16, 2005, 2:16:05 PM5/16/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
That t-shirt is hilarious!

Steve Bakker

May 16, 2005, 2:18:35 PM5/16/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
according to the grand rapids press, Karl Rove suggested to Vern Ehlers
that the President Bush speak at calvin's commencement this year.
Although President Byker, at the least (and certainly others as well),
happily accepted him as commencement speaker, I'm not sure which came
first: Rove's suggestion or Calvin's invitation.

Ada

May 19, 2005, 1:49:35 PM5/19/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I find it blasphemous that you associate the goodness of God with
George that lies and condones murder on a daily basis...for shame! You
say no profits are made then you are the only republican willing not to
take from others, congrats for that.
Also, giving him credit for the education your school provides is an
insult to your entire organization. Your school provided conservative
arts education long before and will long after he's impeached and
hopefully jailed.

tcm3...@gmail.com

May 19, 2005, 6:41:41 PM5/19/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Uh...I think you missed a joke. I designed the T-shirt and I'm a
progressive, NOT a Bush supporter. Perhaps you missed the part about it
being a protest shirt.

Calvin, along with many other Christian colleges in the nation, proudly
proclaims to be a liberal arts college. Key word here is "liberal."
Because liberal is a dirty word in many conservative Christian circles,
I was making the point that some folks supporting Bush's appearance at
Calvin are so extreme that they might like to do away with the word
liberal altogether, even going so far as to change this phrase that it
the college trumpets about.

When I attended Calvin, I was shocked to see so many people in the GR
area insist that Christians must be Republicans--there simply was not
another option. This shirt was meant to be a parody of that mindset and
a commentary on where I think Calvin has been heading in recent years.

Hope this helps.

Whatthe****

May 22, 2005, 10:58:34 PM5/22/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I do not know what Calvin College you attended but the one I attended
had the Lover's of Feminist Teachings ("LOFT"), a support/dating
group for gays, and a female religion professor who called God a she.
Liberalism is a mental disorder just ask Dr. Savage.

Brian