Too bad we couldn't show a better face

tcm3...@gmail.com

May 24, 2005, 9:33:28 AM5/24/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I agree with those who suggest that this group has run its course. I
have enjoyed the discourse, especially in the beginning. As a Christian
who believes that Christ called us to love and serve others, I was very
encouraged to see the honest, respectful way that many in the Calvin
community objected to Bush using Calvin's commencement to try to cement
his political image with Christianity.

I am not in the place to judge Bush's faith, or anyone else's, for that
matter. I believe that Christians may, and actually should, have
differing opinions on politics. Attempting to say that one party is the
moral, Christian or religious party is not only nonsense, it is
dangerous. But that is exactly what some people from both sides of the
issue are now saying.

I had hoped that this forum, which is being read across the country and
perhaps the world, would offer the chance for the Calvin community to
show that we, as Christians, could behave decently to each other, in
spite of differences of opinion. Instead, we have shown that we are
nothing more than products of our culture, by resorting to
name-calling, condescension and contempt. We have ignored the first two
commandments, "Love God" and "Love your neighbor," and replaced them
with "Thou shalt be theologically correct," and "Thou must agree."

While this group has given me hope because I found other Christians
from my background who are not blindly supporting Bush, it affirmed my
decision to seek a faith community away from the CRC. There was and is
too much of a presence that insists their way is the only way. God is
far bigger than that, and I will not have my faith diminished by others.

Message has been deleted

Laura B.

May 24, 2005, 10:42:40 PM5/24/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
First off, I wish to say that I was delighted to see some Christians
whose faith is based on Truth and Light, instead of some misinterpreted
or self-interpreted Biblical teachings. I am not a Christian, at least
not in the definition made up by the Bush supporters. Neither am I an
American (I don't even live in the US). It has been my impression
that all of American Christians are Bush supporters. I am glad this NG
has proved me wrong.

Forums like this one is a great sounding board for the minority to feel
less isolated and less alienated by the surrounding confused
environment. I had some opportunities to visit Calvin campus in the
90's and must say that Calvin struck me as an ultra-conservative
campus, which would be high on the neo-con's "most favorable
campus" list.

Many folks in the world could see that the war in Iraq has been viewed
by both the deluded Christians and the so called "insurgents" (they
call themselves "freedom fighters") as a holy war, a war that they
had been waiting for based on some kind of interpretation of the Bible
or the Koran, which ever the case may be.

The deluded Christians must know that there are folks who share their
faith (and their God) but not their warped logic and ill-theology.
Therefore this forum should become even more publicized.