Plans for Seniors and others attending the ceremony

Nathan Karnes

Apr 25, 2005, 11:52:36 AM4/25/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking about what those of us who are attending this
ceremony should do. Whatever we do I think it should be done so that
we are noticed but also so that we don't interfere. Firstly, I think
we should remain seated as Bush II enters the auditorium and "hail to
the chief" plays (it would be great if we could convince the orchestra
to do the imperial theme from star wars instead...just kidding.) I
also think that putting stickers on our hats might be a good step.
Bush II and all audience members will be elevated so they will notice.
I was thinking the circular crossed out W stickers would be good, or
maybe "Who Would Jesus Bomb?"
Anyway we seniors definately need to reach some sort of consensus on
this. As far as wearing stickers and not standing, I know my parents
plan to participate with whatever we decide to do and I'm sure many
other audience members will as well.

km...@calvin.edu

Apr 25, 2005, 1:23:29 PM4/25/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of the stickers. It definately echoes a movement of
solidarity. My worry with the circular crossed out W stickers is that
that symbol attacks the single man more than the greater policies and
actions which we oppose and his representation of them.
I think a different message, particularly the "who would jesus bomb" or
something of a more political (since now we must be) rather than
personal nature would be more thought provoking and more accurately
reflect the broader sentiment we wish to express.
what do you think?

glimmer...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2005, 12:38:22 PM4/26/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Reply to Nathan: IMO, sitting during "Hail to the Chief" implies
disrespect to the office of the President rather than a protest of Bush
specifically. But signs on your caps (or holding up signs) have been
often been used at graduation to convey messages -- and are a good
visual for photogs, etc who will be at the event.

ek...@calvin.edu

Apr 26, 2005, 12:45:39 PM4/26/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I think not standing to Bush's entrance or his numerous standing
ovations is an excellent idea. Also, as far as stickers or what have
you on the tops of our caps, it would be really effective if we kept
our heads bowed during his speech so that they were plainly in his
sight.

Nathan Karnes

Apr 26, 2005, 2:30:26 PM4/26/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I won't stand during "hail to the chief." I'm sorry but I also have
disrespect to the office of president. I sort of like Clinton, Carter,
Johnson, and Ike; And I do have respect for Roosevelt; he helped the
Soviets save the world from fascism. However, all of these people were
rich white men who mainly looked out for rich white men. A succesful
"liberal" in American politics is really just a moderate conservative.
While certain presidents did less damage than others, they are all
guilty of furthering the spread of exploitative capitalism. Carter's
mild support for counter-insurgency in El Salvador led to the murder of
the great Arch-Bishop Oscar Romero (Carter supplied the guns used to
kill him and other clergy) as well as the hampering of a vastly popular
revolution in Nicaragua (after they succeeded, the Sandanistas made
history by allowing themselves to be voted out of office.) Johnson and
Kennedy got us more invovled in Vietnam. And while Eisenhower tried to
warn us about the military industrial complex on his way out of office,
he only helped them while he was in office. Clinton signed NAFTA,
leading to the dimise of his core-constituency, blue-collar America.
So in summation - no, I have absolutely no respect for the office of
the American president. They merely over-see the greatest power of
economic exploitation in the world.
I don't think I'd stand if "Hail to the Chief" was meant for Clinton,
and surely I won't stand for it if it's playing for Bush.

Raleigh Chadderdon

Apr 26, 2005, 3:02:38 PM4/26/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Well-said, Nate. It seems that everyone needs to think about the
extent of their willingness to respect or disrespect. Personally I
can't find anything respectful about present-day America, the
President, and especially Bush. (I don't mean that I am against
people, but the generalisations of America which, while not true to
every individual, are true concerning the general populace.) I am not
for pie-facing Bush, nor for anything rash, however I refuse to calmly
pretend to have some "Christian" respect for something as arrogant and
harmful as the American government.

Two cents,

Raleigh
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

js

Apr 26, 2005, 7:33:31 PM4/26/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
First I will say congratulations. You have the support of the
dailykos.com community. We need more thinking intellectuals,
especially those who can see through the hijacking of Christianity by
this president.

Might I offer the following suggestions for your graduation protest.

- Do not walk out of the ceremony, but stay seated when Pres. Bush is
announced.

- When he begins to talk, TURN AROUND on your seats and face the other
direction, so your back is to the President. Stay that way throughout
the speech.

- When you turn around, have a friend place a sticker or sign on your
back (or do it yourself). Choose your message, including the bumper
stickers that say "Who Would Jesus Bomb?". You might make your own
sign and tape it to your back (and maybe cap, etc). Such as: "Do not
Hijack our religion for your own agenda", "Christianity is compassion,
not war", "President Bush has no compassion", "Help the Poor, not
Corporations." Things like that.

- I urge you NOT to wear your sign / sticker when you enter. Carry it
with you UNDER your robe until the President speaks. The way the
Secret Service has been acting, anything less may get you kicked out.

- Finally, you might consider a chant after he finishes speaking.

- Also, be sure to bring a digital camera and record the protest!
Post the pictures on dailykos.com and anywhere else you can find.
E-mail them to your senators.

- Best of all, GOOD LUCK!

st...@calvin.edu

Apr 27, 2005, 5:42:42 PM4/27/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I've heard the idea being kicked around of wearing black or white
armbands as a sign of protest. I can't remember who told me, but
someone said black or white armbands have historical significance and
could do well to get the message across.

What is that historical significance? What do black or white armbands
symbolize? And if I don't know what it is, will President Bush (jusk
kidding... maybe.)?

Raleigh Chadderdon, 2005 Graduate Student

Apr 27, 2005, 7:45:16 PM4/27/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
I mentioned the black or white armbands. The significance should be
known in a political setting, though the presence of any alteration of
wear in any consistency will be read into.

White armbands are to do with the armabnds worn by Jews in the Nazi
concentration camps. They used white and yellow, though theirs had the
star of David on it. The traditional interpretation of this combines
both the Jews' futile situation at the time, and just the tragedy of
their situation and history during that time. It had become an anti-war
symbol to a certain extent, but at least a symbol of innocence and
injustice.

The black armband is a band of mourning of innocent death. It had been
used to protest the violence of war in terms of death tolls, especially
unknown death tolls on "the opposite side."

Red armbands are used to protest violence, murder, &c. and have been
used for similar protest means.

This site should be helpful, in general, not necessarily concerning
armbands.

http://www.turnyourbackonbush.com/

It was conceived by people in our exact situation, though not
necessarily with our same motivation, which considering that one need
not be against Bush to protest his presence at graduation.

In thinking more and more, I doubt that anyone will really be able to
pull much off in terms of armbands, stickers, &c. I think that physical
protest (turning backs, bowing heads, not standing, walking out) are
the best bet.

In terms of those outside the event (like me, since I opted not to
attend), I'm afraid that we won't be allowed on campus at all, and
Calvin is perfectly situated with private property surrounding so that
we will have basically no place to be. I may, for those outside, switch
venues for protesting to downtown. I think that that may have larger
appeal, and be less disruptive to Calvin. Any thoughts on this?

Laura Mulder, 2005

Apr 28, 2005, 2:41:10 PM4/28/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Before armbands are dismissed entirely (I think worn emblems of
dissension are still a possibility as long as not worn into the Field
House.) might I suggest wearing white armbands with little olive
branches attached.
The seal of the United States displays an eagle with its head directed
at the olive branch held in its talons, signifying the U.S.'s desire
for peace rather than the brutality of war. The olive branch would add
to the visibility of the armband and address the U.S.'s deviation from
the supposed desire for peace.

msy...@mcw.edu

Apr 28, 2005, 7:16:54 PM4/28/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Here is a better idea. Grow up guys. Your infantile protests only have
significance with yourself. If you need to do something for some
freakish cathartic reason or so that you can keep yourself from being
depressed, go for it.

Instead of spending your time coming up with rediculous ideas for
protest, why don't you spend some time sharpening your brains. Here is
a novel idea for the college liberal: act respectfully (and don't kid
yourselves that no-W stickers are respectful), shut-up, listen, and
think. This is a unique opportunity and your emotional instability
threatens to leave you at risk for missing out on the experience.

Also, consider the following. When I went to Calvin we had a Democrat
for our president. During my time there the trusted Chimes staff spent
their time defending nearly everthing he did. I never heard them
complain about him taking us into a conflict without UN approval nor
did I hear them complaining much about what you might call his other
less than Christ-like actions. If Calvin had invited him to speak I
would doubt that they (liberals and democrats) would have protested him
like they are protesting Bush. If they were consistent in their
thought, they most certainly would have.

It is this kind of stupidity that sometimes makes me ashamed to have
graduated from Calvin. So, go ahead, do whatever you need to do so
that you have the self-validation you need to live another day....and
the rest of us will keep shaking our heads and doing our best to ignore
your embarassing actions.

Forrest from Whitworth

Apr 29, 2005, 1:09:23 AM4/29/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
msystma, whoever you are, I find it tragically ironic that you come
trolling in here and attack people for being "disrespectful", but waste
no time in insulting these same people: informing them that their
protests are "infantile", that their ideas are "rediculous" (check your
spelling), that these protests are somehow necessary to keep them from
being depressed, and that the "stupidity" you see in them makes you
ashamed to have graduated from the same school as them.

To conclude, I'll quote you, but direct the words AT you: So, go ahead,

msy...@mcw.edu

Apr 29, 2005, 2:19:55 PM4/29/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
Very perceptive Forrest. You are the first one to put the pieces
together and understand my point. I'm nuts, you folks are nuts and we
are all nuts together. You guys sound at least as rediculous as I do to
the average reader and observer. However, at least I'm consistantly
nuts and don't feel compelled to act out my frontal cortex deficiency
in the public arena.

jonvanderplas

May 4, 2005, 9:07:14 PM5/4/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
msytsma - Thank you, well said. As a Calvin grad I am embarrassed by
these people as well. I can feel my blood pressure rising as I read
their idiotic posts. I bet it really stung when Forrest from Whitworth
told you that "I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off me
and sticks to you" by directing your words AT you.

Message has been deleted

Wild Horse

May 19, 2005, 10:51:32 PM5/19/05
to Our-Commencement-I...@googlegroups.com
How about a huge sign that reads:

"CHRISTIANS DON'T BOMB FOR OIL".

Also I think the idea of NOT STANDING during Bush's entrance or when
ever people are asked to raise for Bush is a great idea. Not raising
for Bush is not an expression of disrespect for any thing or any
office. Not raising for Bush is an expression of respect for the values
Christians hold close to their hearts. Those who stand up agaisnt Bush
and his adminstration can only looked upon as freedom fighters and
people with self-respect.

So, more power to you folks at Calvin. I wish I could join you to show
solidarity in person. But consider my support in spirit. Keep up a good
fight! It's your future and the future of your children that you are
fighting for. Best of luck!