Erythrodiplax umbrata

Leslie Burdick

Jul 28, 2008, 4:03:55 PM7/28/08
to Oregon...@googlegroups.com

I live in Seattle, WA.  I was just out on my deck and the most unusual looking dragon fly touched down.  I had never seen one that looked like this so I googled and discovered it’s “genus” and common name of “Band-winged dragonlet”.   From the photos, it must have been a male….large bands on its wings.

It said, found in Texas.  I was wondering if this is an unusual species for the Pacific Northwest?

Thanks for your response.

Leslie

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachment to this e-mail message contains confidential information that may be legally privileged. This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you must not review, retransmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone at 1-800-835-7474 and delete this message/destroy all copies of the original.

CJMarshall

Jul 28, 2008, 6:41:21 PM7/28/08
to Oregon Entomological Society
Hi Leslie,
Do you have a picture of it? The Band-wing dragonlet is a
tropical species- not likely to be found this far north. However,
there are several other dragonflies that do live here in the Pacific
Northwest that have banded wings:

Libellula forensis,
Libellula puchella,
Plathemis lydia

and are more likely candidates. I don't have pictures of these, but
you could google them and see if any of them remind you of the
dragonfly you saw.

Cheers,
chris