Implementation of QA concept: call for comment

Cédric MOULLET

Sep 11, 2010, 1:51:59 AM9/11/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Hans-Jörg just provided a very nice OA presentation at Foss4G. It was very well attended.
We got also the opportunity to discuss the implementation of the QA concept within OA.
We have basically two solutions:

1. Client side: at every address update, the client will use the reference geocoding services (Google, Bing and Yahoo) and determine if the address is correct or not. Than the QA information is transferred to the server and stored in a QA table
Pros: use current code, limited risk in regard of the number of allowed requests of G, B and Y, possibility to inform client
Cons: performance, load of external library (-> license issue)

2. Server side: at every address update in the PostGis database, a server component will use the reference geocoding services (Google, Bing and Yahoo) and determine if the address is correct or not.Than the QA information stored in a QA table.
Pros: possibility to make batch check, performance, since it's asynchro
Cons: risk in regard of the number of allowed requests of G, B and Y, need to rewrite almost everything

Now, the question: what do you think is the best approach ?

Cu,
Cédric

"Hans-Jörg Stark (OpenAddresses.ch)"

Sep 11, 2010, 4:09:10 AM9/11/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we can start with the client side QA and see how it works. Thus a first QA is quickly realised. If we find that a server side implementation is better we have not lost a lot of time or written code that must be changed.

At FOSS4G I met people from Croatia that want to start with OA data collection and they are especially interested to use the QA and act as quality managers. So, yes it is an issue we should implement.

thanks, Cédric for bringing this up in the community.

--hj

Andrae Stefanie

Sep 13, 2010, 4:13:35 AM9/13/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I like your QA-approach. If the client-side approach is not causing too much negative impact on the performance of the portal I think we should go for this one.

For bulk-upload of addresses we would need to calculate this quality as well.

Cheers, Stefi

Stark hans-Jörg

Sep 13, 2010, 4:20:06 AM9/13/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com

For bulk-upload of addresses we would need to calculate this quality as well.

Unless it is cadastre / official data.