Elfin Skimmer and Uhler's Sundragons at Stonecliffe, Renfrew County

Bill Lamond

Jun 1, 2024, 12:54:42 AMJun 1
to ont-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Today (31 May) I saw three Uhler's Sundragons along the Ottawa River in Stonecliffe, Renfrew County. They seem to be always there along the old railway bed at this time  of the year. When flushed they don't go very far and like a lot of odes, if you approach very slowly you can often get very close for study.

Later in the day at the immense Grant Creek Marsh I was looking for Elfin Skimmer and found two, one of which I caught. I've never seen this species in May before. Both were very teneral. The literature says that very teneral males are lime green but you can see that this male is quite dark. Perhaps it was lime green an hour or so before I caught it. It will assume its typical powder-blue bloom soon I suppose.

As I write this I am under attack by no-see-ums at the cabin here. Never experienced anything like this. I can certainly see them swarming under the light. And I can feel them. Hard to believe something so small can cause such discomfort. Where is the Raid Yard Guard when I need it? So uncomfortable.

Bill

Uhler's Sundragon, male - Stonecliffe, Renfrew County - 31 May photo 1 Bill Lamond. .jpg
Uhler's Sundragon, male - Stonecliffe, Renfrew County - 31 May photo 3 Bill Lamond. .jpg
Elfin Skimmer male at Grant Creek Marsh, Stonecliffe, Renfrew County - 31 May 2024 - photo 1 Bill Lamond..jpg