Eastern Red Damsel and Somatochlora along Hwy 17.

bturc...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2022, 9:20:30 AM6/26/22
to Ont-Odes
Sorry about the late report.  On Tuesday June 21 I went to a piece of crown land along Hwy 17, 2.4 km west of the junction with Hwy 531, Nipissing District, about 10 km west of Rutherglen.  This was in search of a Forcipate Emerald reported two years earlier at this location.  I was not successful in finding that species.  However, I did find an Ocellated Emerald and a Harlequin Darner at this location.  I tried on the north side of Hwy 17 at the same location (also crown land) and found a Brush-tipped Emerald and a female Eastern Red Damsel.  I thought the Brush-tipped Emerald was an Incurvate Emerald but the iNaturalist AI didn't suggest it as an option, so I looked carefully at my field guides and online pictures to come at Brush-tipped Emerald.  Not a lifer, but a valuable learning experience for this tricky genus.

I don't recommend the north side because the wetland is unsuitable for wading (the muck is very deep) and the land is thick with shrubby.  I didn't go far (just 50 meters) for the amount of trampling required to get anywhere.  The Eastern Red Damsel was just 10 meters in.

The Eastern Red Damsel I found here is only the second location close to North Bay for this species (the other being Hog Trough near Trout Creek.)