Maine Snaketails and Alkali Bluet (Nipissing District)

qwieg...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2023, 11:22:57 AM7/13/23
to Ont-Odes
Hi all,

Just a quick note...

This past weekend myself and Dana Latour spent some time looking for a couple of rare odes in Nipissing District...a trip I finally made after years of dreaming.

We had luck on Saturday with seeing several Maine Snaketails and catching one male at Pautois Creek south of Hwy 17 west of Mattawa. The captured male had unusually well-marked S8 and S9. Also present here were many Moustached Clubtails, some Eastern Least Clubtails, Ocellated Darner, and a couple of Twelve-spotted Skimmers.

On Sunday we checked the North Bay waterfront for Alkali Bluet. We had to run an errand, so found ourselves checking out the lake at Charles Street, and here we found many Tule Bluets and a single Alkali Bluet. I am glad that we were able to catch this male (did I mention we didn't have our bug nets with us?), as we were unable to find any at the well-known spot at Sunset Park, about three kilometers to the south!

Other odes of note included several Midland Clubtails and a Spot-winged Glider at Sunset Park. Interestingly, the next day I saw a Spot-winged Glider over the parking lot at the Algonquin Park Visitor Centre!

All for now!

Quinten
Maine Snaketail 1.JPG
Alkali Bluet.JPG