Spiketails at Wardsville Woods, Middlesex Co.

Blake A. Mann

Jun 12, 2022, 6:28:24 AM6/12/22
to Ont-Odes
Yesterday, I checked out a nice little spot I have been watching for years.  A year ago I had a glimpse of what I thought was a Twin-spotted Spiketail.  It went out of sight and I never saw it again.
I went to the spot yesterday and waiting for me was a Twin-spotted Spiketail perched on an old phragmites stem!

I noticed that there were a couple of other spiketails flying around.  I took a photo of one perched, assuming it was Twin-spotted.  Upon closer examination, it was an Arrowhead Spiketail!  It was not even on my radar, so certainly a significant find.

There is a nice shaded stream there which no doubt is beneficial to these.

Wardsville Woods is just west of the village of Wardsville on old highway 2.

Photos are on my blog at: www.burgbirder.blogspot.ca

Cheers,

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg